Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jess JustjessJJess Justjess Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Pain Medications
I am taking 100 mg tramadol 3 times a day, 300 mg neurontin 4 times a day, 5/500 hydrocodone 3 times a day (I was taking a muscle relaxer, baclofen, but the combo with the neurontin made me have urinary retention so for now I'm off that drug). So after using the tramadol and hydrocodone for 8 years I'm getting pretty resistant to them and they aren't working for me so I'm shopping for a new drug (sort of like that 80's song). My doctor mentioned nucynta. We were going to do it but then I thought I was getting radiofrequency until my insurance denied it. The other option would be percocet. The only issue with Nucynta right now is that I have to wait till July to get it because its not covered in my insurance plan so because of that and that my stupid HMO won't cover my radiofrequency anymore I am switching insurance at open enrollment. So any experiences with it? How does it compare to Tramadol? Percocet? I'm great with med side effects usually, the urinary retention really through me off, LOL! That is a weird side effect, especially after having 2 kids, I'd have thought I'd be wearing diapers not pushing to pee. Its better now though and I think the neurontin is a fabulous med for me. Okay, any thoughts? advice? Thanks in advance :)

• I've become also immune to percocet for my break through pain and my pain MD prescribed 100MG nucynta every 6 hours. I took it for about 10 days and I didn't notice measurable difference over the percocet. It did give me bad shakes, an "out of body" sensation quite often, very jittery, and some loss of balance. Everyone is different so maybe it will work for you. My pain MD took me off nuycenta after about 12 days and put me on 15MG, every 6 hours, of morphine sulfate for my breakthrough drug which does not seem to work any better than the percocet (15MG every 6 hours). BTW, I had been on some form of percocet for over 6 years before my pain MD replaced it. To be fair though, I had cancer about 10 years ago and I had 6 mos of chemo with 1 additional non-standard regime drug that attacked my thyroid and caused it to not wor correctly. I have to take a drug and testosterone shots to replace needed chemicals in my body.. My docs thought because of my thyroid problem I might not be absorbing my meeds correctly. I had a blood test (I don't recall the name) and it showed that the thyroid malfunctioning and kept my body from absorbing meeds correctly. So, my thyroid issue may be why nuycenta doesn't work for me and I had the adverse reactions. IMHO, I think it is worth you trying it as you can stop taking it if it doesn't work. Please keep me posted on how you do on nuycenta. Best of luck, Jerome
  • After my fusion, I did not do well at all on percocet (bad bad emotional issues... especially anger) and since I had responded well to tramadol prior to the surgery we decided to try nucynta. I don't know if this is true, but my surgeon said it is more similar to tramadol than any other pain med, but stronger. In my experience he was correct. For me it was a great replacement for percocets for post-surgical pain. I got very good pain relief, no emotional side effects and, maybe best of all, I did not have any problems with withdrawl when the time came to stop taking them. My insurance also did not cover Nucynta, but the doctor's office was able to get me a coupon so I only paid $30, so it might be worth asking if those coupons are still out there. Good luck. I hope you have good results with it!
  • Cool, that definetly helps Dedalus! I have done really well on Tramadol for the past 8 years but for some reason, they aren't working for me anymore. Thats why I was excited to hear about Nucynta! My current insurance, oddly enough, will only cover the Nucynta ER, which is odd. Anyone try that one? I'm willing to try it but ER stuff makes me nervous for some reason, not sure why but I've never had a slow, extended release medication. But yeah, they don't cover Nucynta. When I switch to this other insurance, they do cover that medication so that is what I'm really looking forward to. Something that will actually work! I told my husband this morning, "If they only knew how much pain I have.....I can't imagine they have any idea because they wouldn't just let me go on like this!" I don't think they know, I think they think we are just all sort of being whiny about it. Geez, its not like I have a sliver or something! I have noticed it even affecting my ability to cognitively process things and thats scary to me because I need to be able to do that to work! I really hope the new med will work. I've never tried Percocet or even oral morphine or fentanyl so I actually have a lot of options right now if they feel they are necessary and I do really well with medication, few side effects. Thanks for sharing your experience with me! It was very helpful!
  • I broke three ribs a couple of years ago and got nucynta and I think I had either an allergic reaction to it, or I was getting addicted to it, because when it came time to take my meds, I couldn't catch my breath, and I was terrified! I think that it's too late because I just noticed the date on this, but I will post it so it might help someone in the future. I would never take that again!