Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need relief from cramping

jodietasjjodietas Posts: 3
Hi guys

I have become beyond desperate. I have never felt anything like this in my life.

For two straight days now my whole left leg has been constantly cramping. It just hasn't stopped. It will ease off for about 20 minutes and then it intensifies for around 10 minutes.

My pain medications are not working. I went to the emergency department last night and they gave me an injection to stop the cramping but not even that worked, they were also dumbfounded and wanted to put me on a morphine drip.

I am not getting any sleep as when the cramping intensifies it of course wakes me. If I stay in one position too long, the cramping gets worse (sitting, standing, resting)

I can hardly stand as when I try and straighten my leg the pain gets worse.

Last week I was diagnosed with Degenerative lumbar spondylosis with posterior disc bulges at the L4/5 and L5/S1 level with associated spinal canal stenosis. The pain medication has eased the pain in my back but it's doing absolutely nothing for my leg.

I just don't know what to do any more, I think I'm going crazy!

• This may sound silly but....are you drinking plenty of water?? That is the only way I can stop my cramping..drinking several glasses of water through out the day.

You can also try muscle relaxers. I do not know of any pain medications that will stop cramps or muscle spasams.

Try drinking plenty of water one day and if that does not help see your Doctor about a muscle relaxer. Flexeril is a good one.

Hope this helps.
    Patsy W
  • I feel your pain...I have a very similar DX and suffer with onging leg cramps. I agree 100% with Pat, water is key...I know it sounds sily, and your are going to think.."I drink plenty of water" Drink more and a lot more. I push myslef to drink 96oz of water a day....its a lot..but it works. Another reason we cramp is deficiencies in Calcium and Potassium. The obvious is milk/dairy products. Yogurt is best here, because of the D. It is important that you have a good source of Vit, D in there...helps with the absorbtion of the calcium. Fortified orange juice is a great option as well. Some less known sources are things like cabbage, kale, bok choy.

As for the the potassium, I honestly eat a ton of bananas and I found cocount water to be delicious. You can get your potassium from fruits and vegies.

Again, its seems almost too simple...water and a healthy diet actually work....I still get cramps, the kind where my toes cross and I cant pry them free...but not every day and not to the point I cant function. If I slack on the water...I suffer! I totally agree a muscle relaxer (like flexerill) my fave...will help...but anything that doesnt entail another medication in my system is worth a try.

I hope you find some releif!

3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012