Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible Disc Fusion - Opinions Appreciated

unsmart9duunsmart9d Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm new here, and have read several posts. I'm looking forward to any opinions, especially those with history of disc replacement surgery.

Here's my story:
I had had no neck pain up to 2003. In August '03 I rear-ended someone at around 5 mph. Between the car accident and the end of the year, I developed a bad crick in the neck that progressively worsened that year. I would constantly self-manipulate my neck to relieve the "tension". I even visited several different chiropractors that would try to manipulate my neck, all with no improvement.

Fast forward to 2010, I still have a pain in the neck/upper back, and about 2 times a year, my traps would flare up and spasm. Only saw chiropractors through those years. Each year the condition slowly worsened.

August 2010, I wake up and cannot sit up in bed due to chest muscle spasms. Rush to ER to get a look, and received no help. Followed up with PCP and was a guinea pig for 5 months, with different tests from X-rays, heartburn meds, steroids, pain killers, muscle relaxers, and even a stress test. No improvement whatsoever, so I was referred to the spine & pain center.

Jan 2011, the pain center doc prescribes mobic and flexeril. No improvement, so he changed flexeril to zanaflex. Still no improvement, so we scheduled a series of cortisone injections. None helped, so then they tried cervical epidural steroid injections. After 2 of those with absolutely no relief, they ordered an MRI and then referred me to the Neurosurgeon.

A week before neurosurgeon appointment, I go to the chiropractor for an adjustment. He's new there, and I told him of the MRI I had in Dec '11. After reviewing the MRI, he frankly told me that there's little he can do to help my neck pain and the pain radiating into my chest & upper back.

MRI Image:
The note on the MRI statement says:
Impression: Cervical spondylosis most advanced at C5/6 causing mild acquired central canal stenosis at that level and moderate to severe left and mild right C6 neural foraminal stenosis.

I talked to the neurosurgeon on 3/20/2012. I swear the guy had the same weird eyes of Prady on 24 (http://tinyurl.com/buenxp3). Anyway, he recommended disc fusion of C5/6. After he tells me the risks, I immediately think, "There's no way I'm doing this!"

Unfortunately, this weekend, I started noticing once of my arms/hands going numb intermittently through the day - twice while sitting at my computer and once while laying down while reading the forums here on my phone.

I called to request a second opinion at a more advanced neurosurgeon's office this morning. I just got back from the chiropractor as well, and after telling him my symptoms, he refused to give me an adjustment or administer any type of treatment.

I now work from home through the internet. I do not, nor have ever had a job which required extensive physical labor. I am only 28 years old now, but have been experiencing neck pain/tension for over 8 years.

Looking forward to any opinions/experiences! Have any questions? Ask away.

• Hi Jeff,

I'm really sorry youre going through all this. I Can totally relate with you. I myself will be needing an acdf surgery on my extruded c6,c7. Like you when I went to see the first neuro I thought"oh my God! I'm never doing this!"

But my symptoms are saying otherwise. I can keep you posted as to what happens in my case and just know that you have someone else that understands what youre dealing with.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Get a 2nd opinion - I had 3 for good measure. Look around the site - there are places with questions to ask surgeons, what to do before surgery and get ready for after surgery. Surgery is a last resort, so ask the surgeon what are the risks of having the survey, and what are the risks of not having it.

I would be concerned about having chiropractors manipulations unless you ask your surgeon or primary care if it's safe.

Take care,
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.