Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Job / Urine Test / Perscriptions

Pyr3xPPyr3x Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Pain Medications
I take hydrocodone for managing my back pain and my last filled prescription for it was 2/11/11. I do not have a need for them on a daily basis but I recently took some for my back and I am in the middle of applying for a job which I am sure will drug test me. Are my prescriptions OK still to present to the drug testing lab? I got copies of my prescriptions from Walgreens today but I just noticed the dates on them. I really want this job so if anyone can help me out here or at least offer advice on the subject I would appreciate it!

Thank You

• Pyr3x,
    I know that last time I went back to work after surgery I just presented my prescriptions to the lab and my employer and it wasn't a problem. It doesn't matter if you filled them in February as long as the prescription says "as needed for pain" or something like that.
    Good luck with the job!
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,845
    I hope that you will find this site informational and rewarding. The medical side of this site has information on just about any condition and the treatments.

The forum side, allows you to communicate with thousands of other folks that have similar experiences.

The 'drug screening' tests that many companies do today vary to what they are looking for and what they will accept.

The most important thing to do is be upfront and honest and explain your medical situation to all that need to know. I would also say that during any interviews, you discuss your situation, let the potential employer be aware, let them know that you can still do the job.. That type of communication can go a long way.

Unfortunately, some companies are not sensitive or willing to accept new employees who are on some type of pain medication.

During my years with IBM, I spent about 14 months in recruiting. Since I was a chronic pain person from almost 1 year after I joined IBM and was on pain medications, I could sympathize with similar situations.

Many companies look at this in two ways:

1 - Will you be able to physically do all the work that is required? Will you be too impaired to do this or perhaps your judgement may not be perfect.

2 - What kind of sick time our medical outages will you have? That is a big concern for many companies. Once they know you have spinal problems, they can assume that there will be times you need to be out of work.

As I started, be 100% honest with everyone you are dealing with and do everything to sell yourself, including your medical condition. I've had many potential candidates come to me, explain their condition (could be physically handicapped or on medications) and they sold me on exactly what they can do, what they cant do and that they would be the best candidate because they know that you need to work hard and smart to move ahead.

Good luck.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com