Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Limited Movement

julie47jjulie47 Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a fusion from T5-L1 with a Harrington rod for scoliosis.

Sometimes when I back out of a parking space, my neck has limited movement to look over my shoulder and check for oncoming cars.

I have never told my doctor because it seems like a little thing.

Do any of you "neckies" have this same problem??

• Hi Julie,

Yes, I, too, have limited ROM (range of motion) with my neck. You can read my Pain Resume by clicking Rassy's Story below. Long story short, I had a 2 level ACDF at C5/6 & C6/7 in June 2009. Neuro told me that ROM would probably not be what is was before. I probably can turn about 30 degrees or so looking straight ahead then turning to each shoulder. My backward tilt is quite minimal and forward tilt not much better. Because of limited ROM, and the narcotic meds I take for chronic pain, I don't drive very often, very far, or for very long. When I do drive I always wear my collar. If I overdue it, I pay dearly. I know the days I should and should not be behind the wheel!

I really haven't discussed this with my doc. I just use my common sense and listen to my body, but that's just me. If YOU would feel better about your situation and driving, perhaps you might want to speak with your doc about it. Hope this helps. Stay strong.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • I have the same problem. I hate to back out of a parking spot. I take a long time trying to make sure anybody behind me would have a chance to go past. Whenever possible I will park in a spot where you can pull through and then drive straight out.

I also have concerns in the regular driving. I pay attention to tracking where cars are behind me, because if I don't I may not realize they are next to me.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Yes I do!! I just use my mirrors a lot or have someone else look for me.

I would never admit that to the doctor though!!!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I agree with what KarenB and Donnabe said, as well. I do the same when I am driving. I really don't discuss driving with my pain management providers. I guess I look at driving as my last little bit of independence and I am going to hang onto it as long as I can! When I get to the point that I am not 100% comfortable behind the wheel, or circumstances change the mobility in my neck to affect the safety of my driving, I will give up driving. Until then, lots of use of mirrors ... all of them and every attempt to park where I don't have to back up. Safe driving all. Keep in touch :-).

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    for over 15 years now. The surgerie(s) were successful, I no long have the problems I had before surgery.

Still, my left to right and up and down movements are limited. They are what they are, no much more can be done. With some stretching and deep tissue work, I can get a little more range, but still not a heck of a lot.

Driving is a challenge when I have to enter onto a road, or do just about anything where I need to turn my head to the left. I have a huge oversize mirror which helps a lot, but still, I am never sure.

Generally what I do when I enter a situation where I need to turn left and cant, I unbuckle my seat belt and turn my whole body around to the left to see whats there. Then I make my move. My next resource is my ears. As long as I dont hear someone beeping at me, I can assume I did it right!

Julie, I know of so many cervical patients who have this type of limited range of motion, but with the Spinal discs you are talking about, I am not sure
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com