Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sjoboyssjoboy Posts: 25

I've been suffering from fasciculations due to S1 nerve compression for serveral months, but of late it has become increasingly annoying. Even my sleeping is getting disrupted because of it. I don't know what to use to alleviate those symptoms. My Dr prescribed a muscle relaxant but its success is limited and I don't want to take it on a regular basis. Thanks.

• Hey, I have exactly the same problem. I've had an S1 radiculopathy for the last 14 years, but about a year ago, after a serious workout, I started getting fasciculations. I saw the Dr. about it and their only suggestion was to avoid over-straining the muscle, but considering I already have some degree of atrophy (10-15%) I am a bit unhappy about having to take it even easier.

So, I don't know that I have any good answers for you, I can tell you what I'm trying. The fasciculations are, from my understanding, caused by a shortage of GABA. GABA keeps the muscles relaxed. When your GABA gets low, your muscles twitch. I've been trying some supplements that are supposed to increase GABA levels. I'm trying straight GABA, which from what I know does not get absorbed well and the supplement Picamilon, which is niacin bound to GABA, which is supposed to get absorbed better. I have no idea if having surplus GABA will help, but I'm going to give it a try.

The other not so good possibility, are the Benzodiazipines, which enhance your body's ability to use the GABA that is there. Drugs like Valium and Xanax fall in this category. The problem here is that they are not AT ALL suitable for long term use. A few weeks would be about as long as you would want to use them, but they may offer temporary relief.

Good luck. If you find any good answers, I'd love to hear about that.
  • I took Lyrica or Amitriptyline but Cymbalta really helped the fasciculations the best. I found taking the muscle relaxant the best at night since they make you sleepy during the day. What about talking to your Dr. about a nerve pain med?

I don't take a nerve pain med after 4 years and felt relief from the meds while I was on them. My herniated L5-S1 healed on it's own so very few sciatica issues now unless I overdo it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN