Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tylenol 3 after L5/S1 fusion

RachelSRachelS Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Pain Medications
I am currently on 10 mg of Percocet every four hours, but will be out by tomorrow and my doctor is switching me to Tylenol 3. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience of going from Percocet to T3s? My doctor preferred Vicodin, but I'm allergic to it. I'm concerned it won't help my pain, but I'm not all too sure how bad my pain is right now as the Percocet keeps it at bay pretty well. My doctor's nurse made it sound like the T3s will feel like I'm not on anything at all, so I'm really nervous. Thanks for any input you can give me on this.

• i was on T3s after my first surgery about 20 years ago, and was put on T3s upon discharge. i did not have adequate pain control on T3s. when i was in the hospital i literally crawled to the elevator trying to get to the ER because I was in so much pain. after a few times the nurses just put me back in bed and tucked me in so i couldn't get out of bed. sorry it's such a horror story but T3s did nothing for me.
  • I did a full day of T3s today and it was awful. It never really got rid of the pain and all it really did do was make me super sleepy. Now there was stormy weather here today where I live, so I'm going to give it the weekend to determine whether they are truly effective or not, as the weekend here is supposed to be sunny and warm. If the weekend is as bad as today, I will be on the phone Monday with my surgeon as I feel I have taken two steps back today. I was actually crying this afternoon because of the pain, and I have not done that since one week post-op.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Codeine is an opioid pain medication, which is considered to be a narcotic.
    Tylenolis an Acetaminophen which is a less potent pain medication, but will increase the effects of codeine.

Personally, I have never found any success with Tylenol with Codeine#3. Even for flare ups. Never for coming out of a hospital or while recovering from surgery. Perhaps 6 to 9 months after surgery and after being discharged from physical therapy.

But every one is different. I am going to assume that since you are allergic to Vicodin, are you allergic to other narcotic pain medications?

There are other choices your doctor can offer.
    But, I am not the doctor, so I dont even want to suggest something.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am on tylenol 3 as I had to go off tramadol because it was interfering with my level 3 (restorative) sleep. I was put on oxycodone and then hydrocodone. I do not care for either as they make me too stupid and did not do a good job of getting rid of the pain.

I am a year past my most recent fusion. I do not think the T3 would have worked well right after surgery but if does a good job for me now. We are all different.

Good luck. I hope you can find something soon that will work for you.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • The T3s are working better than I thought they would. The first day on them was bad, but there was also bad weather here. I've now been on them almost a week and am only needing them three times a day, and only one pill instead of two. I'm really surprised at how well it is taking care of my pain. I'm not allergic to other narcotics, so I am not sure why my doc chose this, but since it is working I guess it's okay.

I started therapy on Monday and had minimal pain with that as well. My therapy is focused on my left leg only because of the loss of sensation. My range of motion in my back (except for trying to bed backwards) is in wonderful shape and she said I did not need therapy for my back at all! My recovery has been amazing. I am now 6 weeks out with minimal pain, almost complete range of motion on my back, and only needing to work on my left leg and lose weight (needed to lose weight anyway, but have definitely put some pounds on with my sedendtary activity and quitting smoking - replaced cigarettes with chocolate. lol).
  • Good to hear the T3 is working for you and that your PT is going well.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.