Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe pain again starting 3 months after acdf

debigarnerddebigarner Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am now 4 months after acdf surgery with hardware c5and 6.I am having severe pain again but a much broader area. Headaches right arm pain some numbess and tingling in fingers on both hands. Neuro ordred x rays and mri. I read report which said evidence of fusion and then seperated loss of lordosis. I looked at the cd on my computer and my neck is straight no c curve. Also plainly could see dics in spinal cord. When i went to neuro yesterday to review, i handed nurse cd and report went right back within 2 to 3 mins dr was in and asked how i was i said hurtin bad cant sleep or do normal activities again he never said anything except all reports looked good and there was no reason for me to be in pain. i said something has to be wrong he shrugged his shoulders ans said idont know i will do blood work and see you in 2 weeks and walked out. I was in tears i felt like he treated me awful and truely wonder if he even looked athe test results because he came in so quickly. It was like he was saying I was lieing. If any one knows anything about any of this please help me i dont know what to do. I am expecting a grandbaby anyday and my daughter gettin married in june. I am not makin this up it is real! I am beggin for help i have never had anything like this happen to me before

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Your not alone that many have had issues following surgery, sometimes it is just inflamation and sometimes something else can be going on. The MRI that was taken was it with dye or not? I am suspecting he ordered blood work to check for other things such as a infection that could be setting in or looking at your C-reactive protein or possible checking your vitamin D. Do you know which blood work he ordered? When you are in the process of fusion and have pain, there isn't a lot they can do unless the fusion is failing, which usually they like to wait till the 6 month mark. Somethings you can do is to keep a journal of daily activities and when the pain comes on as well as what makes it better and what makes it worse. It is also not unusual to see ACDF patients have some set backs as the pain lessons and they begin dong more and more. Your neck won't have the curve as you now have medal in the place taking away the curve with bone growing and no joint(disc). Another thing that is not uncommon is that sometimes following a ACDF a ESI is needed to calm things down and get the patient headed in the right direction or medrol dose pak.

Hopefully you can rest during these two weeks and then return to see what the blood work shows. I also wanted to mention to you that many facilities place images on on-line even though they hand you CD's and your surgeon may have already viewed the images, just a thought.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you get a long and what the follow-up appointment reveals.
  • I too have had an ACDF C5-C6-C7 in 08, C4-C5 in 10 and a redo in june of 11. Hang in there, I too was treated as a liar, whiner etc. but I just kept reporting my symptoms, taking the pain meds another doctor gave me and getting 2nd and 3rd opinions until I found a doc that would explain to me why I was having so much pain and numbness, tingling, etc. I'm still fighting the fight, getting treated like a drug seeker, liar etc but my symptoms are what they are, just recently they found something wrong in an x-ray, then ordered an MRI and noticed something wrong again, I'm getting a CT next week. Just keep reporting your symptoms and looking for a doctor that will listen and investigate properly.