Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stenosis, sciatica pain and surgery

SonatinaSSonatina Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have stenosis of L2/3 thru L5/S1, arthropathy of almost all vertabrae from cervical to sacro. Disc bulging of all L joints, DDD in most, degenerative scoliosis, and Grade 1 anteriolisthesis of L4 on L5. Severe pain, especially in buttock and down to ankle. Oxycontin for many years, TENS, and many epidurals that do not work any more. Selective Nerve Block worked great-for 3 weeks. Surgeon says he can't relieve my pain and thinks a morphine pump would be the best options.
Any advice--I am very confused.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    None of us here are qualified to provide you with any medical advice. That is left up to your doctor.

Folks here can provide their personal opinions based on their own experiences.

For starters, Degenerative Disc Disease is still the most misunderstood spinal alignment. The name suggests much worse than most cases. DDD is basically the aging of our spines. Everyone by the time they are in the late 20's will show some sign of DDD.

Read: Degenrative Disc Disease and Sciatica

These articles and pointers to videos should prove very valuable.

I always find it interesting as to why surgeons indicate that they dont feel surgery is an option for a given patient. What was your surgeon's reasons for not doing any surgery?

I can understand the DDD part. Only the most severe cases require surgery. Much can be controlled via approved exercise programs and OTC NSAIDS.

Now for sciatic. To me, I would want to understand the root cause. The major reason for sciatic is that something is pressing on a nerve root. Has any of your MRI's indicated that one of your bulging discs pressing on a nerve?

Looks like you have had some conservative treatments. Have you had many others?
    Physical and Aqua Therapy, Traction Therapy, Acupuncture, Massage Therapy, Spinal Injections (by sides the nerve block), etc

What medication are you on (besides Oxycontin). Narcotic pain medication is not designed to eliminate your pain. It is only part of a total package that helps you control your pain. There are many factors involved in this package. Take a look at The Blend which is pointed to via our FAQ.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I ran out of room to list all my spinal problems. The worst of my problems is that the "slipping" of several vertebrae onto the next is pressing on the nerves. I have significant arthritis all up and down the spine. Surgeon thinks if he fuses one or two, then the next one will cave, etc. I know all the different treatments and have tried just about all. I am also on Neurontin (3600 mg. a day), Plaquenil, and various others besides OC. It is driving me nuts. I am a formerly active 70 yr. old and am still very young at heart and have a 19 month old grandson that I would dearly love to play with.

Thanks for any and all advice.
  • What about a trial of the spine stimulater before thinking of the pain pump? Scs is usualy offered 1 st for pain control before they will recomend a pain pump,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Post edited - DDD is part of your spine aging. Almost everyone by the time they hit 30 will show signs of DDD. It may come on sooner or more aggressive due to:
    - Surgeries
    - Trauma
    - Genetics

Spine-Health Moderator Team 03/30/12

Many "spineys" have narcotic (s) prescribed to them as their sole method of treatment.

These facts were both told to me by an orthopedic surgeon.
advertisement