Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery after having second diskectomy in a little over a month?

tison1200ttison1200 Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm going in tomorrow to have my diskectomy redone after having either a piece break off or reherniate the day after my first surgery while doing physical therapy at the hospital.

I had asked the Dr. if things go well and there are no issues would I beable to go home the next day (like they normally tell you you can do) and she was very hesitant and said that I will more likely be in more pain then the first surgery because they have to open me up again before everything has healed.

Has anyone ever had this experience and if so what was recovery like the second time around?

• I had a somewhat similar situation with a second discectomy but it was two days after the first one. It was a tough recovery and unfortunately another disc rupture resulted in a three level fusion 11 days ago. I hope your second discectomy goes very well and you recover completely.

• Hi,

While I did not have 2 consecutive microdiscectomies, I had a similar situation in March 2011. I developed cauda equina syndrome from a bulging disc pressing in on my thecal sac at the L4/L5 level resulting in emergent surgery for immediate decompression. I was released within 36 hours with hardly any pain. By that night, I had developed a headache that worsened upon standing. I couldn't even stand for a minute without crying. I called my doctor after a few days of lying down who told me to come in so they can look things over. The ride to this doctor's office (which is coincidentally right next to the hospital) takes about 15 minutes. I was so out of my head with pain that I was repeating under my breath that I think I'm going to die. I was repeating this in front of my kids I was so out of it. Turns out I had a cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak. Since the leak had been occurring over a period of a few days at that point, the surgeon felt the only option was to go back in, repair the leak, and install a lumbar drain to get all the fluid out. They went in using the same incision, put some glue on the leak, which was anterior, installed the drain and closed up. They kept me in the ICU because of the drain and kept me on the morphine pain pump for at least 3 days. Combine that with the fact that they almost killed me :jawdrop: by overdosing me in the OR with anesthesia. So needless to say I slept I) the first few days, but afterwards, when I was up and walking around, I felt great. It did not feel any different than the week before.

Good luck!

• I should point out that there is a lot of scar tissue there now as well as another bulge, just a year later. I have a new doctor in Seattle that indicated there were other problems there as well, but he didn't want to talk about it much until we took care of my more urgent cervical problems. I live in the SE part of Washington and went to the local hospital to take of my lumbar problems, which I think is why I had so many problems. No problems so far with my surgery last month.
  • The same thing happened to me in 2005. I had to have the discectomy re-done after 4 weeks because a fragment of disc had dropped into the same space.

For me, it was a little more sore than the first one because the skin is sensitive, but the skin is an amazingly great healer!

I was able to leave hospital the next day, after being seen by the physiotherapists, but of course, everyone recovers differently. I only lived 30 minutes away at that time, so perhaps that was in my favour.

I really hope your second operation relieves all the pain symptoms for you. Perhaps when you're back home and feeling up to it, you'll let us know how you are doing?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Thanks for all the comments everyone. Surgery went really well. I had surgery around noon on friday and was out of the hospital by 1:30 the next day. My leg pain and 90% of my foot numbness is gone! I was fitted with a soft brace that I wear when I'm up and walking just for some added support and of course it wont let me twist or bend more than I'm supposed to.

The incision site is deffinately more painful then the first time they went in, but I never needed the pain pump after surgery this time. They gave me some liquid muscle relaxor in my IV which worked wonders for pain.

I'm just taking it one day at a time but so far so good!

• You can now start to recover and hopefully put it all behind you. Take it easy!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!