Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post L5S1Discectomy Muscle Spasms

StanfiremanSStanfireman Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi All, Just wondering if any one else has expierenced post surgical muscle spasms. My laminectomy, discectomy at L5S1 was done on 11/2/2011. I am now having my third bout with low back muscle spasms that are bad enough to keep me on the couch. Muscle relaxers help but are not a cure. This has been going on this time for over three weeks. My surgeon has no explanation for this and only prescribes meds. Have been seeing a chriopractor with no relief.
Any suggestions?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    muscular, the way you describe the spasms keeping you on a couch

- Muscle relaxers are not going to eliminate the problem, but hopefully get your muscles calmed down
    so that the spams will stop.

- Physical and/or Aqua Therapy sounds like that might be an option.

- The last thing I would ever consider is going to a chiropractor. Their manipulations can cause more harm then good. However, there are few chiropractors that understand both the muscular and nervous system.
    Those are the ones that could probably work on a person who has had prior spinal surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i just created a post a little bit ago. my doctor thinks mine are muscle spasms too. so bad, i couldnt get out of bed the last two days really. i have been on the couch today and it hasnt been so bad. i took a percocet about 530am and i only take it so i basically dont move and am knocked out. he has recommended valium 5mg. so we will see what that does. currently, with it not being horrible like the last two days, i still feel a strong jabbing pain in my right lower back. curious to see if that is muscular only.
  • There are several benzo medications to control muscle spasms. Valium, at the correct dosage and interval, is very effective (most effective for most people) at controlling muscle spasms.

I have a chiropractor who works directly under a large well respected orthopaedic institute and is well educated in spinal issues. If you can find one of these guys, they can provide certain exercises that are very effective at loosening muscles, reducings spasms, thus reducing need for medication.

Hope this helps.