Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is There A Different Med Than Tramador

dldawsonddldawson Posts: 29
I had L4 through S1 fusion (front and back) 10 days ago. Have developed some really weird side effects from the Tramadol (one of the pain meds prescribed) causes severe muscle jerks and spasms, one last night really wretched my back and I am not supposed to move that portion for three months.

Does anyone know of another type pain medication that can be used? I am currenltly on neurontin and oxycodone.

Plan to call the doctors answering service shortly Nd appreciate any help on this.

• I knew within a few hours of taking my 1st dose of Tramadol I would not like it. Made me extremely jittery and I felt like, 'very not myself'.

For the next 3 days I gave it the benefit of the doubt and continued I think 50mg doses 3x a day. I also tried it without regular narcotic which I was also taking.. Doctor thought Tramadol would give me extra relief.

Anyways, when I finally discontinued use, it took me around 3-4 days before I felt 'normal' again. It did something to my head which I cannot describe better than "walking sideways".

Since then I've noticed I'm extremely sensitive to any medication that fluctuates serotonin levels. Flexeril also being one of them (which I did not know at the time, just knew I did not like taking Flexeril). A recent run in with Cymbalta did a very similar thing - For some people all of this stuff is garbage.

To me it's like taking a normally functioning brain and creating a chemical imbalance. Some people need that, I do not and am refusing any medications similar from now on. I'm not a guinea pig.
  • I also can not take tramadol or flexeril, but I do take cymbalta and I feel it helps a lot. Tramadol made me feel so dizzy and horrible!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I never done well taking too many meds mixing them and all that myself, You would think 1 pain medication at the right dose would do the job with a posible muscle relaxer along with it,

Sure you can add more meds to it and see what hapens untill you run in to a bad reaction as i also have, Many people can tolerate it but i am not 1 of them,

I want to stop the pain not my brain activity,

Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • in my experience what may work for 1 may work for another...to deny yourself nerve pain meds are mind boggling?? some side effects resolve as with any med until one gets used to it. same with pain meds, muscle reliever's etc.

cymbalta for me was great it was too expensive
    it took a couple trial and errors of what would be best. i had a plif/tlif L4-S1 fusion and had nerve pain now then worse after and a new spot when i woke up just for kicks, i guess.

point is maybe keep an open mind if you feel strongly about some meds then that's an option too...i personally cannot sit for long without some help from my meds and scs.
    flexeril makes me jittery too...

take car