Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery tomorrow-very nervous!

bluelabratbbluelabrat Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. Tomorrow I go "under the knife" as they say and will have a fusion of L/4, L/5 and S/1 with instrumentation. I have had a double knee replacement and a double cervical fusion (after auto accident)but I'm more nervous about this one. My surgeon has an excellent reputation but I still am very aprehensive.
Because of the neck surgery, I will need an awake intubation. Has anyone out there had one?; I'm not sure what to expect.
This forum has really helped me learn about this surgery. I thank you all. Wish me luck! I will post as soon as possible post surgery.

• Good luck on the surgery. I've had lower back surgery so not familiar with your question but I'm sure someone will be.

Relax and do something for YOU today...maybe meet a friend over coffee and dessert or go shopping and buy something special or just relax at home.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I can't answer your questions but wanted to wish you the best of luck tomorrow with your surgery. Soon you'll be on the road to recovery!

• Good luck with tomorrow's surgery! Can you ask them to give you something before surgery to relax you? I'm assuming "awake intubation" means that you are awake for the procedure? Sorry I'm not familiar with the term! A surgeon's reputation is key to a successful outcome. Try to relax and you will do fine! >:D<
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I haven't heard of 'awake intubation' either, but I'm sure the anaesthetic team will fully explain everything as they go along.

I do know that if you are able to relax (probably easier said than done), then it makes everything a lot easier for everybody.

I had the same levels fused and, after reading different posts on Spine Health, I was absolutely terrified. However, it wasn't as bad as I envisaged. Yes, it is sore obviously but I was given a pain 'pump', which was so effective and sent me to sleep most of the time anyway.

I was only in hospital for 2 nights. The day after the surgery I was walking up/down stairs with the physiotherapists and, if I didn't live so far away, I could have gone home that night. They won't send you home until they are happy with your progress.

If you are not sure about anything they are doing, ask them.

I really hope it all goes smoothly for you and perhaps, when you're feeling a bit better, you could let us all know how you're getting on.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hi everyone. I had a fusion of L4,L5,S1 5 days ago, and I am very happy with the results, so far. My daughter is a skilled care nurse so I came home after only two days. She removed my drain today and everything is going well. In the recovery room I woke with no sciatic pain at all. I know I have a long way to go, but it sure looks good so far!The 'awake intubation' wasn't much fun, but the anesthesiologist explained everything ahead of time, so it was tolerable. Thanks for all your thoughts and good wishes.
  • good luck with tomorrow

have the medical staff not described the exact procedure to you already???