Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Incision problems...

notsonnotso Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well, I had my 6 wk. post op check today...everything is going great, fusion is happening...all of my previous symptoms before surgery are pretty much gone. I still have of course some right sided neck pain, neck and upper back muscle spasms occasionally but for the most part I'm doing very well...except for my incision. I had an immediate egg size lump under the incision after surgery but my suture line looked well and intact and never any signs of infection. At six weeks I still have about a marble sized lump just below the incision and one end of the incision stll has some scabbing. My neuro said I had an allergic reaction to the internal vicryl sutures and there are two sutures trying to come out through the skin and causing the problem. Some of my neck skin is a little puckered too. He said he wants to look at it again in a month, keep icing it, and if it doesn't look like it will heal on it's own he will refer me to a good reconstructive plastic surgeon to get it straightened out. He will give me a diagnosis that will cover it under my insurance because I am still having such pain around the incision and that part of my neck and throat still hurt so the situation and continued swelling due to fluid is impairing my swallowing but I'm sure I will still have to pay my 20% of the cost of reconstructive surgery. I'm a little upset with this outcome especially since everything has been going so well but....I just tell myself things could be worse. I could not be fusing or still be having the previous symptoms I was having so my surgery was basically a success I think. Thanks for letting me vent...everyone has been so helpful on this site!

• About your incision problems, and hope that things settle down and you wont need reconstructive surgery.

My situation is somewhat similar. I am eight weeks post op from lumbar adr. My incision seemed to take awhile to heal but also did not have an infection. I have lumpy areas under the skin with one area that the scab took 6 weeks to heal. I had two internal stitches that my body rejected and they pushed their way out of my body. I trimmed them back until eventually they pushed all the way through. My incision line is very thin but the whole area on, and around is numb and hurts at times. I have been rubbing it, hoping to break up scar tissue and regain some feeling.

You are not alone.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone but I'm sorry you also have an issue with your incision. I too kind of keep trying to break up the scar tissue especially when I'm in the shower running hot water on it in hopes that it will break up whatever fluid is there, it scares me to think that the lump might be permanent, but it is actually very slowly getting smaller. I'm afraid to remove the blackish scabbing where the doctor thinks the sutures are trying to come out, I'm afraid I will make the scar worse when it does finally heal up. If I have to get some plastic surgery on it I will. I keep expecting to maybe see some suture ends protruding and I will probably pull them out. Thanks for responding and I hope you get all healed up. We're about the same with healing time so keep me posted on how you do, k?
  • When my two stitches started to poke through, I really wanted to just pull them out, and I did pull them but then it seemed like my incision line started to bunch up so I got freaked out and stopped. Bit by bit they pushed their way out,I would give it a tiny pull every couple of days..they were probably a good six inches long by the time they came through, but I trimmed them back often so that they didn't catch on anything.

Finally after a tiny pull they came all the way out.At the same time, my one area that looked the worse and had a scab on it cleared up, this was about 6-7 weeks post op.

Keep in touch! Hope all goes well.

:D Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi there, I had surgery 8 weeks ago. I had an egg size lump on the top and side of my incision also. My doc didn't seem too concerned. He said it would go away, but didn't really say what it is. They have gone down a lot, but there is still a lump at the top/side of my scar. I'm nervous about it, plus, as vain s it sounds, it looks rippley and lumpy. I hope u don't need any additional surgery, and that both of us end up with a clean smooth incision. Do the lumps hurt/ are they firm? Mine are tender and firm like....