Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wants to stop Lyrica-Suggestions?

TWHladyinLVTTWHladyinLV Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been on Lyrica for 5 years now. Currently taking 150mg twice a day for nerve damage pain.
I don't think it's doing me any good any more and I want to quit. I tried once a few years ago and after a month of agony without it I went back on it again. Now I am having all sorts of joint and muscle pain and about 20 other listed side affects and I really think its not doing me any good anymore. Maybe I should try something else? I want to try to go to one dose a day and see how I do. Any suggestions? I'll talk to my MD first of course, but this is getting crazy and I've been diagnosed with numerous other conditions in the past year and am on so many meds. I just want to cut back as far as I can.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    You should never stop or alter the dosage of a prescribed medication UNLESS you have communicate this with your doctor and they have given you approval or another plan.

There is no one on this site who has professional medication knowledge to provide you with the information you requested.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I certainly understand that when you feel better, you want to cut down on meds.
    But that is not an answer.

Like many other chronic conditions..people feel better and then don't want their meds. Maybe they also feel meds are giving them unwanted side effects.

My meds have some adverse effects, but I know what happens without them. Also, without my meds I am less likely to listen to my loved ones and my doc.
    I then feel more alone..and so it goes...round and round.

Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I wouldn't alter my dose until my MD gives me an ok. Just wanted feedback from others who may have stopped Lyrica and their MD switched them to something else instead.
    And I don't feel better, thus I want to quit all my meds, I feel SO MUCH worse! And all the meds I am taking are having interactions with each other based on Internet based interaction checkers.
    In the past year I have been diagnosed with an inflamed Pancreas (tests so far can't point out a reason), multiple gastric ulcers, diverticulosis, non-tuberculosis macobacterium (suspect type Marinum), Sleep Apnea, sleep deprivation, hypothyroid. Asthma, multiple allergies from pollen, mold, industrial cleaners, multiple food sources, animal dander, etc., etc.,.......I normally have loads of energy, but after 4 years of sleep deprivation and the other health issues (including horrible back and sciatica pain), I lost my job of 30 years, which chopped my income by half. I am struggling to start a business of my own that has required a lot of work and desperately need to hold on to my home for my husband to keep his job.
    I only wanted suggestions of what others have used in place of Lyrica as it seems to be the culprit in that I have been having pain where none should be, severe muscle cramps. I don't drink alchohol, or smoke.
    I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 33 years so I know medications, but there are new meds that have been developed since I have been out of the business for neurological pain and feed back and personal stories are what I am interested in so that when I see my MD next I can ask him about what he thinks might be best.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    You mention you are on many other medications. What are they?

In terms of medications for Nerve pain, the two most common you were hear about is Lyrica and Neurontin (Gabapentin. I've been on both and had too many negative effects with Lyrica, but have had total success with Neurontin.

Even if you cot down on other medications, many times, nerve and/or muscle relaxer medications could still be in your daily routine.

But reading your laundry list of medical problems, I wouldnt even want to guess what could be the right step for you. Several of those problems are respiratory in nature, some gastric. Are you on any medications for those problems?

But to net it out, if you are starting to become unhappy with Lyrica, perhaps Neurontin is a possibility.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I took Lyrica before and then slowly tapered off the highest dose of 600mg a day and went on Cymbalta for a couple of years. I found it worked better for me for the sciatica. There's a lot of side effects for some people though.

I stopped taking it as I'm taking Wellbutrin now and didn't want to be taking too many anti-depressants meds and found it did make me a little sleepy but did help with the tingling, numbness awful feeling in my leg. My Dr. offered me Neurontin also and she said I could take it at night if it made me sleepy but I'm awaiting to see another Pain management Dr. to see what he recommends. I hope you find something to help. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So far this is the list:

Fentanyl 50mcg/hr patch q72h
    Soma 350mg as needed -usually twice a day
    Tramadol 50mg 1-2 q 4h prn Breakthrough pain
    Lyrica 150mg twice daily
    Restoril 30mg bedtime
    Amiloride/Benazepril 10mg/2.5mg - for high BP
    Levothyroxine 100mcg daily
    Fexofenadine 180mg daily - allergies
    Bio-identical hormone replacement cream - for post menopausal syndrome
    Symbicort inhaler - asthma
    Albuterol inhaler - asthma
    Docusate sodium - stool softener
    Bactrim DS (sulfa combination drug antibiotic) - for 6 months or more- for the Mycobacterium Marinum
    Prilosec 20mg twice daily
    Ondansetron 4mg as needed for nausea

I have been switched on and off several antibiotics because one may have caused the Pancreatitic Episode that put me in the ER, and another can't be taken with Fentanyl.

So far I'm allergic to drugs:

Tetanus Toxoid
    Zanaflex (Tizanidine) a muscle relaxer
    Zocor - for high cholesterol
    ALL Ansaids (Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aspirin, Celebrex, etc.)

I have been dealing with major depression and stress over finances and lack of sleep, but I don't want to take antidepressants unless it is absolutely necessary. Most of them come with their own sets of side affects and interaction problems.

For the past month I've been having severe muscle spasms and cramps in my shoulders, neck and lower back along with joint pain I've never had before. Knees, fingers, arms, neck. Along with the normal severe sciatica and low back pain from a failed back surgery in 2009.
    Before December of 2006 I had great health, only allergies. I am only 55 and I'm too young to feel this old. my PCP doesn't want to keep giving me pain medications so I'm being shuffled off to a pain management MD. I refuse to have anymore back injections and physical therapy has proved to make my symptoms much worse.
    This PM MD does do nerve ablation and I am interested in learning if that might be of some help. I don't want to have to stay on high dose narcotics for the rest of my life. I would like to see if a TENS unit might help some too.

I try to get as much exercise as I can. I used to be an avid backpacker, hiker and long distance runner and race-walker in my younger days.
    I do own a Tennessee Walking horse who is very smooth Gaited and I try to get out and ride once a week. Just grooming the horse leaves me with breakthrough pain. I tried doing some yard work last week that put me in bed for a week afterwards. House-cleaning is exhausting.
    My husband travels 4 days a week so I am alone to do all the chores myself. When he comes home he doesn't want to help out even though he admits I can't do it myself. He wants me to sell the horse, but it's the only enjoyment I have left.

• I did try Neurontin before the Lyrica, the Neurontin did nothing for me. I would like to try the Cymbalta. I will ask the PM MD about it.
    I've only been getting an average of 2 hours of sleep a night for the past 5 years which has wrecked me mentally and physically. I use a CPAP machine for the Apnea, but because of my allergies I can't keep the mask on very long as I wake up feeling as if I am suffocating. I'm hoping it will get better, but I need surgery to fix a deviated septum. I've had surgery after surgery and can't afford the co-pays. Last year my company's added up to more than 5000.00! And I'm not making any money!
    Did I say I have a lot of Stress? LOL!!!!
  • I just got a CPAP machine also. I have to go for another sleep study with the CPAP machine this time because I'm having trouble with it also feeling like I'm going to suffocate so I want to know which mask is right for me. I'm using the nasal pillows one which is way better to me than the mask. Did you get a follow up at the sleep center with your CPAP machine?

I also had surgery for septal deviation. I found it's much easier to breathe and get less sinus infections now. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The pillows are what they finally gave me and I like them way better than the full mask.

I guess I'm going to have to get the sinus surgery. It sounds painful though.
This discussion has been closed.