Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had my appointment with the surgeon for the pump

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
I finally had my appointment with the surgeon who will be doing the pain pump. I heard the usual risk that are involved, signed all the consent forms so I guess now all I need is a date. Im nervous to say the least but excited at the same time. Per the surgeon " In your case the sooner the surgery the better". so by that statement I am assuming it will not be long now. i informed work of the upcoming surgery and was taken back by the reaction of my supervisor. It was not a good one. I realize that me not being at work 4 to 6 weeks will cause a disruption in the practice but the reaction made me feel guilty for doing this. Is the reaction due to being told "pain pump?" I am not worried about my job, I do a great job there and am always being rewarded for it in ways of bonuses or PTO. I have hid my medical problems from work since I was hired which was about a year and a half ago. I learned from previous employers that it is not a good idea to let them know of all my issues. My previous job i was upfront about my issues and it got me no where but fired. Long story short so now I sit here and worry about the reaction I was given. It sucks feeling this way. My supervisor and I have a great relationship and it bothers me of her reaction. Almost to the point of wanting to say I am sorry for the inconvenience but Ill be D##med if I apologize for something I have no control over. Maybe Im being over-sensitive, I dont know. what I do know is I dont like feeling this way.

• Well i would of told the superviser yes a pain pump, Some people need a pace maker for heart and some people need either scs or pain pump as back condition has goten worse the last year that way it dont look like you was hiding anything,

It might not be a good idea to say the condition has been going on a long time before starting the job and information was witheld from the company, The less they know the beter sometimes,

If they give you any more crap about it mention discriminarion, Not sure if you have fmla at your work place to protect you and give you medical leave where they cant fire you just because a medical condition,

My girl friend is hearing impaired and she did have cocliar implant that failed and had to be removed and fmla always protected her at the work place, Some conditions need dr treatment and follow up and if person can still perform there job with there medical condition there are laws put in place to protect them from employers who might discriminate against them or there dissability,

They have to even try and give acomidations to anyone with any kind of disability when posible,

My gf does accounting and she dont have to hear to do the numbers and has always worked with her disability and many times faced the chalange of dealing with some new supervisor who tried giving her crap without reason and she never backed down and fought to uphold her legal rights against discrimination in the work place,

So if you feel a problem might be arising always document it and take it up posibly with the proper chanels so there is no missunderstanding in the future,

There are laws every company has to follow and discriminating against any one with a disability are serious and there are chanels you can go through to keep that law in tact so supervisors are reminded these laws are there for a good reason,

Best of luck to you,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I was so very happy to hear that all you need now is a date to have your pain pump implant.
    I was not happy to hear how much your supevisors reaction to this bit of news upset you. Yes, it could have been "pain pump" she was reacting to. Most people know nothing about pain pumps.
    This should be an excitig time for you and I hate to hear that you are upset. Most people are nervous about any surgery.
    My implant surgery was a snap for me. I did have some surgery pain for about a week and I did have to wear a hot brace around my middle for about 6 weeks but other than that I had very little discomfort. But we all are different.

Best to you Susan. PLEASE do keep us updated! I do hope things go as easy for you as they did for me.

Patsy W
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have done the " proper " work, flma. that was the first thing I had done. The surgeon will have the paper work ready to pick up Friday. My supervisor was curious today and asked questions that I believe were sincere and not out to get me. Lol. I did learn today that she has had 3 lower back surgeries and is in need of another one. I didn't go into full medical detail of my issues but I did explain that a medical condition has arisen for a previous surgery done years ago has now required medications and since I was unable to work and take the medications I have opted for the pump as a resolution. That seemed to satisfy her. So today I feel a little better about the situation. Im hoping I can get back to work in 2 weeks at least part time. I do have the vacation I can take to have this done but according to my supervisor I don't want to use vacation and I need to use short term disability to cover my own butt in case something were to go wrong, god forbid. Pat Im really curious, how noticeable is the pump? Can you hide it with clothes or is it still noticeable?
  • That is great news to hear your mind is at ease now!! I am so happy to hear that you had another talk with your supervisor.

To answer your question.....
    The pain pump does protrude a bit expecily the large 40mil. size. That is what I have. The advantage to a larger pain pump is that it does not have to be refilled as often as the 20mil size. I go every 6 months for a refill. But I have diladuid in mine and it does not go stale as quickly as morphine. I hope I am correct thinking that morphine users must have the smaller pump and it has to be refilled every 3 months.

I can no longer wear zip up jeans or dress slacks that zips up. And I have to wear my shirts out with all my slacks to cover my bulge. To me thats a very small price to pay for the wonderful pain relief I now have. The only time I have to ntake any oral pain meds is when I am having a flare up!!

I do hope you will be getting a PTM. A PTM is a hand held device you can give yourself an extra dose of pain meds through your pump when you are having a flare up.
    Susan....If there is anything I can do please ask. I would love to help.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Trust me I am sure I will have many questions that I will be firing your way over the next few months. I agree that the pump sticking out will be no big deal I was just trying to figure out if I should go buy new clothes for this or if my old ones would still fit. The surgeon showed me the actual pump and I am assuming I am getting the large one, I thought my eyes were gonna jump out of my head when I saw it because it looked huge and I was thinking to myself your gonna put that where???? Ill take the pain pump over vanity anyday. its not like I am gonna be running around in a bikini or anything, Im 50 years old, those days are long gone for me. LOL.
  • My bikini days are over too Susan.LOL
    I was so desperate for help with my brutal pain I would have let them dangle the pump from the end of my nose!!
    Oops.....went to sleep here in my chair!! I thought I had finished this and sent it off!

That is one problem I have with the diladuid in my pump......I fall asleep at the drop of a hat!! There is a medication a Doctor can give you that will help with that problem, if you need it. Not everyone has this problem.
    Better go lay sown before I go to sleep ad fall out of my wheel chair. I have did that before.
This discussion has been closed.