Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

julie47jjulie47 Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all.

I am currently taking flexeril near bedtime. It helps me sleep.

I am concerned that flexeril may be addictive or lead to me becoming dependent on it.

Is this something I should worry about??

• I took Flexeril on and off for a year or so when my back first started to give me day to day issues. I built up a tolerance to it and it started to loose its effectiveness and I had to be changed to a different muscle relaxer, but I never felt any withdraw symptoms when I stopped taking it (which would have meant a chemical dependency). I now take Soma, which has a much higher potential for dependance and addiction, but even with this as long as I taper off it slowly I have never had any issues with either.

I also never felt any high feelings with it that could have led to an addiction, for me it made me tired and because of this I rarely took it during the day, but I would take one at night to help with muscle spasms and as a sleep aid. Everybody is different though, so if you have had issues with any substance abuse this may be a med that you watch closely with your doctor.

Good luck.....Mitch