Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

at wits end and now got new job?? do I tell?

eden.edeneeden.eden Posts: 1
I've had a prolapsed disk for 12 years with on/off back pain.

18months ago sitting up in bed with hacking cough, the nerve in right leg got trapped and has been unrelenting sciatic pain ever since. I can bend forward and touch my toes with no problem but slightest flex back is mega pain, pins/needles/numbness. Can sit ok, standing and walking very limited. Can manage few mins before pain kicks in bad.

Had epidural injections with 25% improvement for 1 month. Recently tried Butrans patches (buprenorphine) no help. Am seeing a spinal surgeon at end of month. Recently (6 months) having really bad pains in left foot - don't know if connected or not. Tried all sorts of meds previously over 10 years for back pain but pain clinic won't let me retry them for the sciatica.

Have just been offered new job starting the day after seeing the surgeon after months of unemployment. But have to have occupational health check first. How much do I tell them????? Scared of losing the job if I say I might have to have time off for an op. On the other hand the surgeon may not want to operate - but as it stands I have no other pain relief and am exhausted with it all. Am also being treated for depression with counselling and anti-depressants.

Am so confused. I really need this job as money situation is dire.

Has anyone any advice please?

• You only tell them what they need to know.
    If they ask, give them enough to make a fair assessment of your safety and ability but no need to say "I fear I might need a surgery" because you may not.

Honesty is key but answer the questions asked, and no more.

Not sure if this helps.