Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone had "dural repair" during back surgery?

XenaPortlandXXenaPortland Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I was reading through my surgical notes and I came across a comment about them having to do a dural repair. When I asked the doctor about it, he said the nerve channel had narrowed so bad it was cutting into the spinal column and I was leaking spinal fluid.

Now, I've been suffering migraines for the last 3 years and they seem to be triggered by weather pressure changes. I "think" it may be connected, that when the pressure changes my spinal cord leaked more or less and that triggered a migraine (at least some of the time).

Does anyone else have any experience with having a spinal cord leak fixed that was possibly related to any other nervous system type issue?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had one during my posterior cervical surgery. Never knew anything about it until I requested my medical records and read it on the op report. Ive never had any related problems
  • Hi Jirfyre,

Well, it could be unrelated to my headaches .... the docs dont seem too impressed with my theory either.

I just hate migraines so much and I'm hoping this somehow helps :)
  • I had a dural leak from 2002 until 2006. The headaches associated with it were very distinctive and very non-migraine. My migraines were all on one side of my head and the dural leak ones were like a meat cleaver to the forehead with a hand ripping the skull back from there. They would abate when lying flat.

• Hi haglanc,

That is really interesting. I read elsewhere that a leaking spinal cord can cause "headaches, nausea, and light sensitivity". Now, that sounds a LOT like a migraine to me, or at least a lot like the ones I get. Also, I was migraine free from my late 20's to about 41, and then the headaches started up sort of the same time my back problems got worse, which seems like pretty strong connection.

Mine always seem to be right behind my eyes. I feel really weird first, like everything is out of wack visually, and then the head pain starts along with a lot of nausea and extreme light sensitivity. Lying or standing did not seem to make a difference.

BUT ... and this is the cool part ... I have not had a migraine since the surgery. Just a few minor headaches, but nothing like a migraine.

I just don't know. I read that higher level spine problems can cause headaches, but never found anything connecting L5-S1 issues and spinal fluid leaks to migraines.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will at least help lesson the number of migraines I get :)

- Xena