Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So its easter... and I'm sick....

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Happy Easter- He has risen!

So on Thursday night I started getting asthma (I take singular for asthma maintenance and usually only get asthma now when I do exercise in cold air and given my neck/back conditions I don't do any vigorous cold air exercise (I do swim though)). So anyway, I took my albuterol inhaler which usually stops it but it didn't help. Throughout the night I got a really sore throat, probably the worst sore throat I have ever had (I have a high pain tolerance so I was dealing with it alright). Unfortunately I had to work the 5am-2pm shift because the other manager called off (I was 10-7) because she was sick. So I was also short handed and didn't have a mid manager. I was super dizzy by the middle of my shift and could barely stand. My heart was beating out of my chest. I called my doctor- of course they were closed. So when the closing manager finally got there (20 mins late) I said, I will come back to finish my work I need to go to urgent care now. I walked over there because it was very close. Didn't feel safe driving anyway.

So I waited 2 hrs (I am not exaggerating) to get in the room, and then another 1.5 hours! They said sorry about the wait, we are so swamped... but there was only 1 other person in the waiting room???? They did an EKG and said I had sinus tachycardia and it was from the fever, my resting heart rate was 138. So they prescribed Azithromicin, claritin D, and Meclizine.

I left there and called my boss and said I am not coming back.

So yesterday I had off so I rested most of the day but of course all the coughing and everything is KILLING my neck/back. That is the worst part. Since my surgery my neck has been doing a lot better so I have managed to cut my hydrocodone down to 1-2 per day (usually in the night), but yesterday I took 6 and today will probably be the same.

Oh by the way I have to work today 1-cl. But then I have the next 3 days off. I was supposed to take a mini vac but I won't be doing that.

I hope all of you are doing well :( Thanks for letting me rant.
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• Oh yea every time I cough or sneeze the pain shoots to a 9.

• This is the place for you to rant if you need to! I'm really sorry to hear about what you are going through. It really sucks to be sick! It's the allergy season that's causing people with asthma to have attacks. My daughter suffers from allergies and luckily we have been able to get things under control. She's been getting allergy shots. I can relate because she used to so sick and dizzy that she would lay on the couch everyday until we finally figured out what was wrong with her. Take care and hope you feel better soon! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Donnabe said:
    Oh yea every time I cough or sneeze the pain shoots to a 9.
    I know exactly how you feel, Along with my still untreated neck problem and my "butchered" lumbar condition my allergies ar here this year worse than ever. even with 100mg of MsContin in the morning, 30mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours and my neurostimulator cranked almost all the way up every time I sneeze my pain goes from a constant 6-7 all the way up to a 9-10. the last sneeze I had I actually passed out from the pain. I have found that if you can lay down on your side,curl up in a ball and kind of hold yourself when you sneeze or cough hard it still hurts but is doesn't really suck as bad. Keep on fightin the good fight one sneeze and cough at a time!!..lol
  • Thanks everyone!!

• Oh gosh, poor thing!
    Yes, allergies are so bad right now. My mother in law had to go to the emergency room yesterday, severe case of bronchitis, and it was from her allergies, getting an infection.
    I hope the meds are kicking in so you can give your back and neck a much needed break.
    Feel better soon!
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS