Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fear of re-herniation after surgery

Angry30AAngry30 Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All,

I'm a 30 year old female. May 13th 2012 will be two years since my L4-L5 discectomy. How did my problems start? I ask myself that over and over. My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother all had back problems. I wonder why more wasn't done to prevent this from happening to me. I think about my youth, wheeling my grandmother and mother around in their wheelchairs. My grandmother was a heavy woman, so is my mom. I was the child who had to help them - I picked up their suitcases when we arrived and left Florida. I pushed their wheelchairs. When my mother couldn't work anymore -it was me who carried the boxes for her to her car. I think that probably played a role. Arthritis is all about repetitive movement. I was a figure skater. I quit after I landed my lutz when I was twelve. But started again when I was a university student. I thought I was getting good exercise, maintaining a healthy weight. I just did ice dance stuff - no jumps. But I think that didn't help my back. I worked out a lot at the gym. Probably too much. Again to lose weight. I didn't lift heavy weight or anything like that. Level 2 on cardio machines.

I've experienced back pain for the last decade of my life, it started in my early twenties. I was told I was just stressed out, it was my period, a knot in my back. It wasn't. So, now I'm angry. Angry at my doctor, my physiotherapists, my parents and other family members for not taking me seriously. I think to myself, if they had only listened, and believed me - I wouldn't be in the position I'm in. And I will continue this later. Atleast I started to tell my story.

• Anger is a perfectly normal thing for you to feel. In fact it is a very common thing to feel. Sometimes it is very difficult finding out where and why us spineys got into the postitions we did. How did we get here. What I have learned is that in life sometimes there are not answers. Sometimes we are just given things and we must come up with answers on how to deal with and live with what we have been given. Life is unfair. Very unfair. But getting angry that life is unfair will only make our sorrows and our struggles worse. I think the biggest thing now is not trying to figure out how you ended up here but accepting that you are here and learning postive healthy ways of dealing with the issues you have. Some of our problems will go away. Some of them wont. Some things are in our control. Some things are not.

I do not know if you are religions or not but one of my favorite prayers is the serentiy prayer. I think it applies well in this situation.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

My prayer is that God helps you through this difficult time in your life and that you grow closer to him because of it. Not all our pains can be removed. I feel that although we may not feel like it now as we look back over our lives in the end we will be glad our pains and struggle where not completly removed but that there was God and people there who loved us and who helped us through. Sometimes that is all we have. I hope you find relief though. I really do.
  • I identify with your fear of rehernating a disk. It is human nature to look back in order to understand how it was caused. There are probably people out there who did not do much of anything and had it happen. Then there are others who were in serious accidents and did not have them. I believe the best way to avoid another is to become as physically strong and flexible as possible through exercises and stretching. However, the bottom line is that genes play a part and some of us just have backs that are more easily injured. Hope you are doing well.