Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wiped Out

BMWX2BBMWX2 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 8weeks post laminectomy discectomy on L5. I started back to work last week for a couple hours a day. I do computer work so always sitting. I do get up frequently which helps. I am going to try and go for 4 hours in the am this week and hope to go full-time again by end of week. My question is does anyone else feel totally wiped out after a few days of just going and being on your feet or sitting all day at appointments? Basically just trying to get back into "life." I have to take a full day of laying and resting it seems like to get rejuvenated again just for everday activities. Is this normal? How long does it take to get your stamina back? My back is doing good just gets stiff and weak after too much activity. Any experiences that you have had with this I would love to hear about!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Anytime you have surgery, any surgery, your body needs time to get back to where it was prior to the surgery.

Eight weeks post surgery is not really a long time. You almost have to look at this as you need to walk before you can run.

Once you start on your road to getting back to normal you are bound to hit some rough roads and feel wiped out. Today, you might do something in 4 hours , be totally wiped out and fatigued. Thinking back before surgery, you could have done three times the amount of work without any negative impact.

Your stamina will increase. Its just like a marathon runner. At first they can run 5 or 8 miles and think they have reached their limit. When they continue to train and work hard, they build that up to 10 or 15 miles and feel stronger. Before you know it, they are running the full marathon and still have plenty of energy.

Tom, you will get there, just dont rush it. The worse thing you could do is push to fast, do things before you really should.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Oh absolutely! Even though before going back to work, I had gotten to where I was walking several miles a day twice a day and able to get around doing stuff, going back to work kicked my behind. It's totally different than being at home, for one, because others are depending on us and our mental and emotional state are fragile to begin with. It does get better rather quickly, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and don't be afraid to bail out if things get too rough.

Hang in there,