Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long Term Disability

turbo313tturbo313 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I am looking into this and am confused as to who recommends it. My surgeon only recommends short term, my pain management doesn't do that...so who does? If you got on long term disability, who recommended it for you and was it a hard process?

• I made a special appt. with surgeon to discuss and I went in with the forms and a typed up list of my abilities/limitations for him to use. I didn't have any short term so I was without anything for six months for the long term to kick in. I had non-fusion issues and was having chronic pain and couldn't drive during the whole ordeal. My surgeon filled out the Long term papers, no sweat, for two years the company set that I was disabled from my current profession (programming). Now I'm at the after-two year mark and am trying to get my surgeon to fill out the limitations form again and send all my records. I'm hoping that with 2 lumbar and 5 neck surgeries plus 3 bulging thoraric discs that someone will see the light that I'm unemployable totally. My surgeon sald so, but I don't know how they will fill out the form. It asks the questions about lifting 10lbs, 25 lbs, 50 lbs, sitting for lengths of time, standing, etc. If you can go prepared with the forms and then your own notes on what you can do/cannot do, it'll help. Most surgeons are experienced with Short term, long term, and SSD.

Your oompany may have you use up your short term first, then if you're still incapacitated, go to long term, then to sSD. It's all a long process and hurts my head most of the time. Good luck to you. If you need any help or encouragment, you can message me... candle99.

• My Family Dr. filled out all the forms for LTD for me. I started on short term disability and it turned into LTD for me. I had some guidance from my Union Rep. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN