Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hip pain at night on Butrans Patch

MausMMaus Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Pain Medications
I have been on the Butrans 10mcg. Patch for about a month now. At first I had trouble keeping the patch on even after applying it as directed to clean, lotion free skin. I found that the upper chest and back seem to work better than the arms and under arm. I also found that I am using aprox. 40 less Norco's a month with the patch.

When I first began the patch I felt great. I had been taking Norco 10/325 for a few years for my lumbar and cervical herniations from a drunk driver hitting me in the rear at 50 mph while I was sitting at a traffic light. The Norco recently began to not rid me of all pain. Dr. put me on the patch and it worked very well after a few days. I have not really had any bad side effects that are bothersome but over the past 2 weeks I am getting incredible hip pain at night when I sleep on whichever side I am sleeping on at the time. I end up tossing and turning all night. I am not sure if it's a medication issue or if I am just sleeping much better and longer on each side and that is causing the pain. The Butrans seems to rid me of my back pain but it almost seems like it doesn't reach my legs??? Any ideas are welcome.

Other than that the only other issue I have is that I live in So. Florida and it is hard to keep the patch out of the sun. I understand that the patch may dispense more medication than prescribed if you sun bathe or have heat applied to it, i.e.: heating pads etc.

I called the Butrans customer service line and they were quite helpful and educational. They sent my pharmacist patches to replace the ones that fell off in the beginning and also answered all of my questions at the time.

• Hi Maus :wave: I have hip pain when I am sleeping too. Like you I sleep pretty heavy (thankfully) and yes I do sleep too long on one hip and it is quite painful. Plus I have bone spurs on my hips. Is that a possibility for you?

I wear a pain patch but not the same one as you wear. I was told to put mine on my stomach for the best pain relief. Maybe try that and see if it helps your legs.

Please let me know how your doing :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I'm not on Butran's, but hip pain is driving me nuts at night. I typically have to take 7.5 of Percocet before going to bed at night in order to rest most of the night.

When I don't take it, I don't sleep! Tonight is one of those night's. By 2:00 am I couldn't take it any longer and had to get up.

If I can't even sleep without pain relief at 45 years old, I can't wait to see what's in store for me as I get older. This sucks!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I slept for 12 years on ice cubes in a ziplock so that I didn't have to stay on pain pills as much. It helped me a lot.