Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! The case of two doctors

Vinda-louVVinda-lou Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Long story short, I had intense pain in my arm that ended up being due to a herniate disc. After trying other avenues of treatment, I went ahead and had an ACDF at C5-C6 as indicated from an MRI.

After surgery, my hand/arm still tingled but no pain. Gradually, about a month later, my upper arm pain returned, and my whole lower arm, elbow to hand began getting intense, painful pins & needles.

I am worse off than before. My pointer finger is almost always tingling and feels semi-numb almost all of the time.

So I went to my original pain doctor after having had the surgery done by a NS. I was ordered another MRI which according to my pain doc showed scarring from surgery that is causing the lower arm pain, and I still have a slight disc herniation at C6-C7. He says the scarring is pretty much here to stay, but we will try to get things better.

Then today I had a follow up with my NS who upon seeing the MRI ordered from the pain doc, says the MRI looks perfect and things are great. When I tell him about all of my symptoms he says that maybe in a few weeks get an EMG, but at least give it 3 full months after surgery before to see how the progress is. He makes a point to say that he would send me to a different doc for the EMG (EKG? I forgot...duh), not my original pain doc.

So now what? The two doctors have told me completely different things. Who to believe? I have a call in to my pain doc to tell him what the NS said, and I have a call into my regular doctor to ask his advice. What do you think? I welcome any and all advice. Thanks for reading.

(Did I post this in the right section?)

• Not trying to be smart but how many surgeries has the pain doc done? It's still early if your under three months. Maybe you could get a second opinion from another NS while your waiting. I hope things improve for you and wish I could be more help. Hopefully your personal Doctor can give you some good advice. I had been to several doctors before my surgery and I was not comfortable with them. I went back to my personal physician and asked him and he recommended another neurosurgeon that worked out quite well for me.
    Good Luck!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    You are still very early in recovery and nerves that were affected prior to surgery do take time to heal. It can take many months. Personally I would go with what the NS stated. Wait a few months and then get a EKG if there are still symptoms. Those test are best if performed by a neurologist who specializes in nerve issues. matter of fact everyone of those test that I have had done have been done by a neurologist. Good luck
  • I think we are talking about EMGs and not EKGs? Anyways, EMGs only tell you if you have severe/permanent nerve damage. I just had the test done and nerve conduction testing and it came out normal. Even my doctor said that I could still have nerve damage and pain. I still have pain, but it's not from "severe/permanent" nerve damage. I guess that's good news.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches