Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrated with Acute Sciatica

aurastateaaurastate Posts: 2
I am an overweight 33 y/o male who has been suffering from severe acute sciatica for the last 2.5 weeks. I had X-rays done 2 months ago which show sacrilization of L5 and S1 and narrowing of the disk space between L4 and L5. I'm getting intense muscle spasms in my right buttock/hip down to my calf. I am also getting tingling and numbness down my entire leg to my big toe. The pain has been unrelenting and finally getting some relief from Torodol and Tylenol 4 for about 3 hours at a time. I can only walk a few steps before the intense pain hits and I have to lay down and wait for the spasm to subside. I have been to the chiropractor 4 times in thr last 2.5 weeks with 2 sessions of spinal decompression. When I walk my back is overcompensating and I am really twisted. I am waiting for an MRI in two weeks. In the meantime, what is recommended? Do I still try to walk in short bursts? Even through the pain? What exercises should I be doing? Thanks. 
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, Aura-

Really sorry about all your pain. Believe me when I say that I can really feel your discomfort. I am a veteran of off again on again sciatica.

Since you can walk a few steps, I wonder if exercise would help you. You say that you are having strong muscle spasms, so you may want to ask your doctor about a prescription for muscle relaxer.

One type of exercise that I benefit from incredibly is exercise in a warm water pool. I take an exercise class in one @ my local health club.

Finally, I hestitate saying this to you since I don't know you, but losing weight could help your back. My aunt lost weight and her doctor said that every extra pound you have is the equal of 10 pounds of weight on your back. Hope that doesn't sound insensitive.

Hope these suggestions help, and please let us know the results of your MRI.
  • Thanks for the reply! Yea I was also prescribed flexeril for the spasms, that didn't help but valium did the trick. Losing weight definitely will help. I had sciatica 3 years ago and subsided when I lost weight. Now it seems harder to shed due to not being able to move without intense pain. I haven't tried swimming or physio yet so hopefully that will help.