Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

really bad night!

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm having a really bad night tonight! I started having bad spasms this afternoon around three oclock and there still coming and it after midnight. My back is so sore i can't stand it.My spine is very sensitive now and i hate the feeling that i have there.Its like a hypersensitivity. I was put on cymbalta to try and calm the spasms down but so far its not working at all and its been about a month.I'm still waiting for my mri results to come in to find out whats going on. I'm totally exhausted but i can't sleep with all the spasms that i'm getting.It would be so nice to have someone just tell me what the hell is happening to me.Question?? has anyone had this type of reaction to hardware put in from spine surgery? I was just wondering if i'm having a reaction to the titanium that was put in my spine during my operation on my neck.

• and see if they can prescribe a muscle relaxer? That might help the spasms to calm down and for you to get some rest.

When are you seeing your surgeon again? I would definitely call and let them know what is going on though. Not sleeping isn't helping you heal.
    I hope you get some answers soon and some relief :)

• I agree that you need to talk to your surgeon. Don't know much about Cymbalta, but it sounds like you might want to ask your surgeon for a muscle relaxer.

Hope that you get some better nights soon
  • I was put on cymbalta for the muscle spasms. It is an anti depressant but apparently its supposed to work well for spasms too. i was taking baclofen for the spasms but it wasn't working either.
  • Hey Tammy. I haven't chatted with you for a long time. Sorry to hear of your latest problem.

I took baclofen for a long time for spasms, and was later switched to skelaxin. Interesting thing is that I have taken Cymbalta for years along with the anti-sspasm meds. I have never been told that Cymbalta targets spasms, and haven't heard anyone else say that. However, I have been told that it helps with pain. My doc said the best combination is neurontin, tramadol, cymbalta, and a muscle relaxant if needed. Maybe you should ask to be switched to something else if it is not working.

I hope you find something to help. I feel your pain.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I can't take antidepressants as they cause me to have insomnia. I haven't had EVERY one but certainly most of them.....both old and new. I would ask my doc if it were possible that one of your meds might be causing the problem. Just a thought. Best wishes.
  • I'm at a loss as to what i should do next. I'm currently taking 9 neurotin a day ,the cymbalta and i'm also taking a few remedies from my naturopath thats supposed to help with spasms.I've had tramadol before my surgery but after the surgery was taken off it.I'm supposed to see my neurologist May 17th again for a follow up visit so i'm going to talk with her about switching my meds. again.
This discussion has been closed.