Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First Appt with Neurosurgeon

Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
First neurosurgeon appt tomorrow, a little nervous will update after appt. Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck tomorrow and please let us know how it goes.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Good luck Joe!
    Try not to be nervous, you'll be fine. I hope your appt goes well for you. Post when you get back.

Hugs.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Hi all, thanks Missy and Lili for the reply, the neurosurgeon recommends C5-6 Anterior Cervical Discectomy with fusion using cadaver bone with plate and screws. Basically an ACDF C-5-6 level one, C5-6 is the main problem area causing pain, he disagreed with ortho re: three level replacement. He feels doing only one fusion now is best option, if other disc causes problems down the road to deal with it then, he said another fusion might be needed 5-10 years later or never. I had my notebook with questions and doctor answered most before I even asked, I talked with nurse and she said he has perform this surgery many times. I am probably going to go ahead with surgery because my pain and rom now is bad, I know there is a risk involved and doctor even said I have exhausted all other non surgical options. I will definitely talk with my chiropractor before I make final decision, after all he has been my chiro for 25 yrs, and we talked before I went to neuro. In 2008 his recommendation was hold out as long as possible, which he said I have definitely done and surgery is probably best option with cervical issues. I have had an orthopedic surgeon, pain management dr, chiropractor and now a neurosurgeon recommend surgery. This is a decision I have been thinking about for four years now, every medical opinion I have sought all agree surgery at this point is best option. Missy you and I are in same boat now so don't push me overboard when I'm not looking, LOL, and Lili don't run me over next time I go to New York City. Thanks again to all here, I went to my appt with more questions then when I left. God Bless, Joe
  • Well,

The bad news was that you need the surgery. But the good news is that you really need it and you will be better after having it. I think its great that he recommended only a 1 level fusion at this point. Sounds like he is a conservative dr with some good experience behind him. And that's what you need.

So, while I am not happy for you that you need your acdf, I am glad you'll be getting it. Youre tough. You'll do great.
    And yes, we are in the same boat, so no, I won't be shoving you overboard. Lol! And I highly doubt Lili wants to drive her car over you either. Hahaha.

Here's what's going on with me,I posted this before but thought I'd keep you updated, So I saw my first neuro 2 months ago. But he had just graduated the month before and had NEVER performed this surgery before. So I declined surgery with him and asked for another referral.

Then I had a referral in to see the second neurosurgeon in for over a month now. They just called me yesterday and said they couldn't see me for an appt until the late fall. So at least 6 months away.

My weakness and numbness are getting worse and I can't wait that long. My spinal cord is markedly impinged.

So I went back to my gp yesterday and asked for a referral to a different ns hoping I can get in sooner.
    Wish me luck. Here in Canada it takes about 6 months for a first time appt with an experienced neurosurgeon. That's not even to get a surgery date. Very frustrating.

Anyway, I am happy for you, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

• I like your surgeon! Always go conservative and if you do need another level in the future, then be it! I have some issues at C4/C5, but not bad enough to cause the pain and for surgery. One surgeon I met with told me to do a 2 level and one told me to do a 3 level!

Are you getting another opinion? Where is your surgeon based, in NJ or NY?
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • My neurosurgeon is at Cooper Neurological Center which is part of Cooper Hospital in Camden New Jersey, the most dangerous city in America,Cooper also know as Cooper Trauma is one of the best trauma centers in the United States. As a former EMT I have taken many patients to the trauma center, it is the one hospital tht if you go there with a gun shot wound you might have to wait. A nurse told me a patient was taken there with 16 bullet wounds. The neurosurgeon was named Cooper's best doctor two out of the last five years, as far as the surgery he said he could perform it this month, but I'm going to have to wait until the end of June when the kids are out of school because I will be in a hard collar for at least two weeks and can't drive. Since my wife works and my kids are involved in activities it will be better to wait. God Bless, Joe
  • Hi Missy, I hope you get too a good neurosurgeon sooner then later, maybe you can come to the states and see my neuro, he said he could perform my surgery this month, you can take my spot. I'm going to wait until the kids are out of school because I won't be able to drive for at least two weeks. I have to admit that I am somewhat relieved now I know what type of surgery I need, although the uncertainty of the future is still with me. I know I will have more issues down the road but I will deal with them one at a time when it happens. Missy I hope you find answers and relief quickly, I will say a prayer for you, hopefully not on a day where I pissed off GOD. LOL. Have a good one. Joe
  • Joe,

Have been reading your dilemma, but am glad you left your neuro's office with fewer questions than you went in with!

Sorry the dx is for surgery, but one level is definitely better than a tri. Since your ROM and pain are worsening it sounds like the best option, and you will probably do well.

I will keep you in my thoughts. (Former OR nurse)

Dee
  • I know I will have more issues down the road but I will deal with them one at a time when it happens.

I think that is a great attitude and great advice for me too. I will deal with one thing at a time and hope that the day never comes where I need more.

I am really happy that you wil be getting your surgery soon. In a weird way I am looking forward to mine too, this just isn't an acceptable way to live.

Hopefully I will get an appt with my referred neurosurgeon soon but the way the health care system is here in Canada ( a f'in joke) time will only tell. Lol!

I hope you have a great day Joe!

• Sounds like you are in good hands! I didn't know about this hospital until now. Waiting for surgery feels long and drawn out, so feel free to write us to pass the time.
advertisement