Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post c6 corpectomy questions

snopro31ssnopro31 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi im new to this i do not understand short hand terms for stuff if anyone replies please dont use some letters and expect me to know what it stands for.

My questions are my voice had this surgury feb 24th i still have minimal voice along with still having issues swallowing. Concerned as i have read people have these problems for a week or 2 not this long was any of that info i found correct?

I have had zero pain i have never taken any type of pain pills or anything yet i have read so many people saying even the maximim dose of morphine isnt stopping the pain. Do i not feel pain right or did i get lucky somehow (not that luck got me to this surgury lol)

Does anyone know of healing time or limitations to your life once healed? Things like racing snocross, or even just other things one maybe shouldnt do after having this done.

Sorry for long winded questions just concerend as to what is happening to me and my future. I really just wanna go back to work or at least get this stupid collar off

• Hi,

I had my surgery on February 21. Although I am a little confused right now as to whether I had a corpectomy or vertebrectomy since my entire C7 vertebrae was removed as in a vertebrectomy but my doctor said he was performing a corpectomy at my pre-op appointment. Apparently the only difference is the amount of the vertebrae was removed.

Since my surgery, I still have problems swallowing and talking. I talk more than a few minutes and my voice goes out. I still try to eat primarily soup since everything sticks in my throat. If I try to eat solid food, I cut it up really small. All the swelling in my neck appears to have gone down so I am not sure why swallowing and talking is still so difficult. My pain in my shoulder, neck, back, and arm is worse since the surgery. I had one of the top surgeons in the US, so I don't think the surgery was done wrong, I just happen to be one of the people where surgery does not help with the symptoms but it is still early yet after surgery. I talked to my doctor's assisstant last week who was not concerned yet about not being able to swallow or talk well, but my follow-up is in Seattle next Tuesday.

I also have to wear a collar. I have to wear a Miami j hard collar for 3 months after surgery. I can't wait till I can take it off as the summers here in southeast Washington get up to 100 degrees and just in the 75 degree weather I feel overheated. My kids and I are all anxious for me to be able to ride my bike again and be able to go hiking and camping, our favorite past times in the summer in the Pacific Northwest.

Hope you feel better soon! Cheers!

• Ok maybe i dont know what they did fully still. In the xray he showed me its c5 a plate looking thing going to c7 and nothing in between just like this chicken wire looking mesh it doesnt seem strong in my head.

I feel for you and hope the pain goes away soon. I am the same with voice and swallowing. No swelling but still cant swallow and voice when i do talk i sound like justin bieber with a cold. As a single male thats not cool with me lol. Do you get to sleep with your collar off? Mine is a hard plastic thing with changable pads i can take it off to sleep now so thats ok. No working is harder then i thought it would be im going stir crazy
  • Sounds like a corpectomy and fusion, maybe even a 2-level fusion. I do have to sleep with the collar on, though I take it off when I am sitting down sometimes, usually when I am using my laptop since the collar prevents me from looking at the keyboard. Lately, I have been using my laptop a lot since I missed two weeks of class (I am a graduate student at Washington State University)and have tons of papers due and tests coming up before the semester ends in a few weeks.

Sounding like Justin Bieber must suck, I hate the little kid though my older kids love him. My oldest is 10 years old. i can imagine being stir crazy not working, but with a large family (5 kids plus the husband) my house is crazy day in and day out. I can't even yell to get on to the kids when they act up ;-) Well, I hope your voice gets better and swallowing easier.