Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for replacement for my oxycontin

CinG46CCinG46 Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Chronic Pain
Good day everyone,

My name is Cindy Im a 46 yr old female. I suffered a weight lifting accident about a few years back and it left me with a neck injury and spinal damage. Im a Chronic Pain Sufferer. At the moment Im going through a bad flare-up, I would say my pain level is peaking at about 8 to 10. 10 being the highest of course. I see my pain management Dr on May 10 and Im looking for any suggestions on pain killers. He will be asking me what pain killer I would like to take in replacing the oxycontin. Now becuase I dont know much about the new drug that has replaced it I dont want to take it as I feel there hasnt been enough testing done on it. id like to stick with a pain killer that has been on the market for awhile now and has the least side effects. Im looking for something that can equal the oxycontin or close too it. I had been doing good for about 5 months and about a month ago I started to notice my flare up starting to act up. I am now on ice packs ,heat pads depending on how I feel that day. Im on oxycontin and clonazepam. It was working very well and I still feel that it is but due to the flare up? My meds are losing strength about every 4 hrs now. Im on my 5th day and Im feeling pretty exhausted now. I have 2 herniated disc and left shoulder pain that leaves me with a stiff left arm . If I had a heart attack I wouldnt even know it due to the pain I have( it mimicks everything from death ,cancers, you name it). I have now been put on complete bed rest and you know it can get tiring just lying there waiting for the next pain to come on that will have you crying and feeling like you rather be dead then to be in such excruciating pain. I see a occupational therapist. a physico, a ortho my pain management Dr and my GP who takes care of my anxiety issues due to the pain. I see most of these poeple on a weekly basis with the exception of my pain management dr and GP who I can talk with over the phone and get my precriptions just by a simple fax. Im considering vicodin or percocet. Does anyone know anything about these 2 drugs or how well they work and what are the bad side effects of them. I try and stay away from anything that will cause my blood pressure to rise as I have had issues with that in the past and would like to stay away from it. The last thing in the world I need is to start having problems with high blood pressure. At my worst my blood pressure is elevated some but I have learned through my therapist to control it. So it hasnt been an issue for over 6 mths now and I have kept it under control. I have 2 herniated disc and whole bunch of stuff going on with my spine and neck along with the left shoulder blade. Fortunately there is no nerve damage or nerve blockage. At my worst i do start to have some problems with shortness of breath which is qiute bothersome so I would like to try and keep away from anything that will cause it to be worse. Shortness of breath caused by spinal cord injury pressing against my lungs not allowing them to fully expand. Any advice on a pain killers would be deeply appreciated as I dont know much about them except for daulidid which isnt strong enough and morphine which doesnt even make a dent but the oxycontin did work and now I have to choose a new pain killer Id just like to know if anyone else has something similar to what I have and what pain killer they would suggest.

Thank you all so much,

• C.G., I can't help with the oxycontin ? because I don't take that but I can relate to your pain. I just had surgery again in Jan and one of those "flare ups" is lighting me up. Wish I could help with your question. Again, you have come to the right place and welcome.
  • about 7 years ...its a very good pain killer BUT extremely addictive and your body gets used to it very quickly and therefore you need more and more to get the same pain relief .i have now reached that stage and i wish i was OFF it .but as i am only 15 weeks from a major surgery [ALIF} i still need it .the problem with oxycontin is its twice as strong as morphine ..this i found out post op .when the morphine they gave me after surgery did not work as my body is used to shifting large quantities of Oxycontin every day .i was on diamorphine and ketamine and diazepam at high amount for 4 days then back on my oral oxycontin .
    if you can get of oxycontin THEN DO SO ..ask your doctor if there is anything that you can take to give you adequate pain relief .you don't want to go through the hell of WD from oxycontin.and even though i hate taking it i still need to for pain .and hopefully when i don't need it for pain i will need help reducing down and eventually off it ..but that could be many months away ,i wish you luck !
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Why do you have to change from oxycontin? Hydrocodone is what I am on and its not as strong as oxycontin. What about fentanyl patches? Anyone know about those? I have heard they work well. Does anyone know how they stack up compared to oxycontin? I'm hoping I can get switched to nucynta which I am told is a good drug but yeah, its new. Its similar to Tramadol which has been a great drug for me for 8 years but its not working anymore and I can't increase the dose anymore. I'm bummed because its a good one. Have you tried tramadol?
  • I have been on oxycontin and did not like it because it made me so stupid and did not help with my back pain as much as the tramadol I was on before. I had to replace the tramadol as it was interfering with my restorative sleep.

I am now on Tylenol 3. It has codeine in it and seems to do a good job with my back pain without making me loopy.

I am fused from L1-S1 and have SI joint dysfunction.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I was on oxycontin and Oct Ir for break thru pain. I am now taking Hydromorph Contin and have Oxycodone for break thru pain. Not sure if you have tried this before, but I think I have tried almost everything available over the past 5 years. This works best for me to minimize the horrific base pain and then catch the break thru before it gets too bad. We must always remember that each of our bodies are different in how we metabolize and deal with the side effects of each medication. So, if you have the opportunity to try these two meds they may work for you. I always check at the beginningfor side effects. Made a mistake once and did not do that; had a really brutal weekend. Best of luck!
  • Thank you so very much I so aprreciate all your help. I assumed with oxycontin off the market I would have to change pain killers? My pharmacist told me that they wouldnt be on the market anymore and thats why the change. Is there something I dont know? If oxycontin is still on the market Oh I wouldnt change it for nothing as it works very well on me. Its just during the flare-ups where it wears off a little quicker. Im taking it every 8 hrs 3 times a day but I feel that it is the perfect pill for me and my pain.They have found a foot print on my spine, a spur and it pretty much goes on and on until it hits the cocyxx? Dont know if Im spelling or saying that right.I was lifting 60 pounds of weights over my shoulders one day about 4 yrs ago( was an addictive weight lifter) when my 4 yr old son at the time walked in and I yelled at him to move and lost my balance but instead of letting the weights ruin my brand new wood floors , I grabbed the 60 pounds of weight on my left arm and it quickly pulled and yanked my arm and everything out of place.Next think I knew I was in the ER in the worst pain I have ever encountered. I have 5 children and had them naturally without any pain killers. Ive had several injuries including car accidents from whiplash to lung damage but this takes the cake. This is the injury that finally got me.Today is my 6th day on a flare-up By the way I'm 45 , I dont know why I seem to tell everyone Im 46 or 47 when Im 45. The brains going as well..lol. Feeling lucky today and peaking at 10. Im hoping I can catch a break sometime soon today. So my next question is . Is oxycontin still on the market?

I wish you all a pain free as free as it can get kind of day,

PS: New here on the site and reading up on some of the post . Wow it isnt nice to know that so many are suffering in such horrific pain but I have to admit, I dont feel so alone anymore.
  • Yes there is a replacement for Oxy. It is called Oplana. The new Oxys say OP on none side and 80 on the other or whatever mg it is just like the OCs did. There is another one that is suppose to be stronger and the name is almost the same called Opana. They are hexagon shaped. I take methadone for chronic pain. I was on 4 80mg Oxys a day and 12 norcos for breakthru pain when I was 18 years old. Now all I take is 120mg of methadone a day and im good. Everyone is different with methadone though
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    along with Oxycodone IR for breakthrough medication.

I switched over to Opana and Opana ER (there is really no formal name for Opana IR, so its just Opana)

That worked much better for me, not only in helping me control my pain, but on my stomach.

Oxymorphone (What Opana is called) right now is being held back by the manufactures. I've been told by about a dozen pharmacies, that Opana will probably not be on the market again until late May

Overall I think the Opana family is a perfect candidate to replace Oxycontin.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you so much once again. will be asking my dr about these and maybe will decide which one i will try but the methadone thing sounds good also. wow so many great suggestions thank you all. I have taken notes and will be asking about each one of these meds.My flare ups have finally brken and Im down at about a 6 which is good. Would like it at a nice cool 5 but Im good . dont want to start begging for more and appreciate what I have now . Whew! Feeling pretty good. Im doubling up on the anxiety pills and that seems to be helping. Was given the go ahead yesterday. I was able to go out and walk for about 10 minutes and get some fresh air. feels good to get out and stretch my legs again.

Wish you all a great weekend and as always as pain free as possible.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    My P.M. Dr. just switched part of my witches brew. from Hydrocodone to oxycodone HLC. If they're not going to make it anymore, why did he prescribe it. And how did the pharmacy fill it?
    And almost all of the replacement drugs that you've mentioned are very weak, except for fentanyl
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ron can you tell me how costly the opana is compared to the er oxycontin?

I take a 40 MG & a 10 Mg (every 8 hours 150 mg oxycontin cr daily) so I am buying 2 scripts at $30 each with insurance $60 (plus the $10 for the oxycodone I have for breakthrough pain).

My stomach is causing me all kinds of promblems now and a new pcp said it could be from this medication.

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread.

• No worries,like reading what others are going through. (Julie). .... (J Howie) thats the drug my Dr is asking if I would like to try. I been reading up on it and sounds a bit spooky. I know he'll say something like. I feel that this is the pain killer for you. All Im really looking for is something to help me through the flare-ups. What do you all mean when you say " breakthrough pain". I know Im in pain everyday I think I had a good 2 weeks where it was almost non exisistent. I was on cloud -9 you can be sure of that. Other than that? I'm usually in pain but with the help of therapy I have been able to control about 45 percent of it now. I know I wont make a full recovery as I have already been told but my goal is to function where I dont need pain killers unless Im flaring.

By the way excellent site been reading up on some of the post.
  • Oxycontin is not off nor is it going off the market in the U.S...In fact...the new version of OC is only a few years old...

This is why a few years ago, the generic patent ran out and this stopped being made. The new version of Oxycontin is only different in the mechanism of the way it reacts when/if crushed to prevent abuse. It just turns into this mushy, gel like substance...

Of course regular patients like us do not abuse the medicine and swallow whole as intended...

So...no worries....Most people are counting down the patent years so that a new generic can be distributed as it's so expensive.

CG....You asked about Percocet....This is the exact same medication as Oxycontin...It is Oxycodone...

Percocet is short acting Oxycodone mixed with Acetaminophen (Tylenol)...
    Oxycontin is long acting (Continuous...hence the "contin" ) Oxycodone...

It seems like your Dr. has misinformed you or is just lying in that he doesn't want to prescribe this medicine...

Of course there are many other long acting options from Opana, Nucynta, MSContin, Methadone, Fentanyl patches, etc.

I have been on MSContin (Morphine Sulfate Continuous) for the last few years after the generic Oxycontin went away as I don't have insurance. It is very cheap but I find it extremely effective. It's not the same strength as IV Morphine...so no need to worry....

I also use OxyIR which is short acting Oxycodone without Acetaminophen.....for my break through medication...

Hopefully you can work with your Dr. to find a medicine that helps you...Again...keep in mind that an opiate should just be one small way to help lower your pain...It's important to have a comprehensive pain program that includes many other modalities...

**Edited....I don't know about Europe or Canada....so I apologize if you are not in the U.S...

Good luck..
  • From this article it says Oxy was taken off the shelves in March but only in Canada

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Yeah, Im in Canada for heaven sake!..lol Might have to go back to Cali.. At what Im paying this DR? He beter not be LYING! ughh! Actally I am considering moving bak home. Ill see what happens at my appointed time with the Doc. Thanks for the Info :)
  • Oh no! Well I hope someone else has a response for you on a good replacement! I am interested in this thread because I am wondering about taking something that has extended release. Currently I am taking 10/325 Vicodin but It only lasts about 2 hrs. I am alternating with tramadol but I wish I could just take one thing and have it last at least 5-6 hrs.

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Julie - Maybe send Ron a PM, I am sure he has not seen your post yet :)

Hi Cin :wave: & welcome to SH :)

The Break through pains you were asking about. I will use myself as the example.

I am never ever ever pain free, not even when I am at full dose of allowed meds.

I am the Fentanyl patch, which I change every 48 hrs (some people change theirs ever 72 hrs) The patch keeps my pain at a steady level of 5 (most days) but I can't work or do much without my pain level shooting up and that is where the break through (also called BT) come in.

I am allowed 8 oxycodones 5mg daily for my BT pain. The patch is well worth it for me as other wise I would have to take a lot more pills plus have a lot more ups & downs in my pain levels.

Like say without the patch I went to bed and 4 hrs later had to use the restroom I would be at a level of 8+ which would be horrible but with the patch keeping me at a steady 5 it's do-able. Make sense?

As far as what will work for you, no one including your Dr knows for sure. I went through a list of meds that other people swore by and they never touched me. Opana being one of them Oxycontin being another one I tried.

If you are paying out of pocket ask your Dr to give you a few days worth on 1 script and then the usual months worth on another script. So if 1 med does not work your not out the big $$ ;)

If he/she by chance give you the F patch get VERY knowledgeable about it. It is my miracle BUT I had a LOT to learn about it. Thankfully I study it here before my Dr started me on it. There is a ton of info here about it. A lot due to me as I asked a lot of questions lol I can point you in the right direction if you need help finding it.

Please keep us posted how your doing :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • In Canada we are just switching from Oxycotin to OxyNeo (which the US has had for a few years). What province are you in? In Ontario, NS, and Sask (there may be others these are the ones I can remember - there was an article on CBC, I'll try to find it) they are taking OxyNeo off the list of procincially covered drugs. My understanding of this is that is you are on provincial assistance, or if your private insurance only covers what is provincially covered than you can only get coverage if your Dr fills out forms stating that your case is exceptional (and my understanding may be wrong - I'm in Alberta). There was a study of people in Ontario a year or two ago, that were on assistance and the rate of overdoese/death and the amount of narcotics, esp Oxycotin, plus what has went on in the media about these type of drugs, that has got a lot of provincial governments overreacting. Even more so when the National Post ran a story this year that goes into the details of how many pills of narcotics are stolen and/or lost every year, it's over 400,000 in Canada. Also there is documanted evidence that the addiction problem is worse on reserves, this is not discrimination Chiefs have come out in the media and have said this, however they are not sure why this is. It may have had an infulence on the study results in Ontario, as there are a lot of people on reserves that are on public assistance (again a matter of public record, not discrimination) however addiction rates have been observed as higher in the Native population, which they seem to think has roots in what the residental school system did to them, although this is hard to prove or disprove.

Anyways, hopefully this helps.
  • Love Love the info thanx Ladies.

Techgurl- totally understand what youre talking about. Thats about how long my meds are lasting but when the flare starts up? it only last 4 hrs max if even that. I need something to help me get through when the pain med wears off or allow me to take the dose every 4- 6 hrs at least, you know what I mean? I mean cause this is Bull. I am seriously getting down and dirty and having a good talk with that Dr. of mine. My goal is too find someone whos going to do what I want..lol All I want and I know we all do. Is a little time in the day so that we can live life maybe to spend that time cleaning the homestead spending time with our loved ones without having to say" hey I have to go lie down now my pain is acting up" and leave the nice BBQ they were having for you. I dont know just sitting out on the deck having a nice cool drink on a hot summers day with your feet up and relaxing watching the kids play or read a good book without the pain consuming your mind so that you cant even do these simple tasks.

MsHumptyDumpty..LOL ( cute cute Id name, love it!)

also agree even without the flare-ups? Im pretty much always in pain I would say Im levelled off at this moment at about a 6 myself, After having my flare-up which was peaking at 10. Now with therapy Im able to level it off at about 3-4 which is good considering the damage that has been done to my spinal cord and neck. One thing though? It really never ever goes away, its like having a huge A** elephant on my back. I dont know how I even got lucky having about 2 weeks of just about being pain free for that long. I was in heaven thats all I know. I am now doing research and asking people who are on the fentnyl what its like so yes any info or good sites would be great. Thank You!

Snookie- Im in Montreal and you are right I just found out from my pharmacist that they are switching from oxycontin to oxyneo and she reassured me that it is the same thing with the same side effects so thats some hopeful news for me. yes I did hear about all the drug abuse that was going on with the oxy, terrible isnt it? Fortunately I havent gotten addicted and I hate pills so I dont even see myself getting addicted . I hear that on the Indian reserves it is really bad, actually doesnt really surprise me. I mean life in the res isnt your "Fathers Knows Best" moments kinda life. The pharmacist did tell me I would be switching to this oxyneo so I might just give it a try but if that doesnt do it, might be time to change meds. I hope not though. I had my pain levels at about 3-4 some days at a 2 which is excellent for 4 mths maybe a little longer. I believe its when they started wanting me to start working out it was just too much and I flared up due to it. My body wasnt ready for all that. Im on a set back and My ortho and physio are letting me know that they will be going extra slow with me from here on. Ive gone private for everything its much quicker and the service is a little better only cause youre paying cash. It walks and talks does the job.

Thanks for the excellent info Ladies ,know that Im taking notes I like to be prepared when I see this Dr of mine. I have about 3 pages long now of questions.( along with my own questions of course).

Wish you all a comfortable day the best as it can get anyways :)

• Glad to see you have so many responses, and they're filled with excellent and accurate info! I can't really add to that, other than relay my experiences.

All of these meds, as you know, will affect people differently. Opana, for example, works well for some, but it makes me nauseous. There are a lot of different hydro-, oxy-, -codone, -morphone, combinations. Here is a fantastic resource for you:

This lists various opioids with their relative strengths and links to read about each one. Morphine is called the 'gold standard' for comparison, and opioids are bench-marked against it.

Ultimately, it's up to you and the prescribing doctor to openly discuss the various medications and find the right "witch's brew" (to quote j.howie) that is effective for you with the fewest side effects. I can't take anything other than oxycodone (oxycontin is the same drug, but extended release. Oxycontin is actually a brand name of Purdue Frederick, just like percocet is the same drug with paracetemol mixed in made by Endo). All the other ones I tried made me sick. Tramadol is a synthetic opioid, and worked well for me but the withdrawal symptoms are hell. Fentanyl patches (50mcg/hr) worked for me like a wonder drug. I was only ever in pain on the 3rd day, patch change day when one patch was out and before the new one got in to my bloodstream (takes 8-12 hours). Fentanyl is 100x more powerful than morphine and is measure in micrograms per hour. It is absorbed through the skin (duragesic patch) at a mostly steady rate. There are lollipops for fast acting relief of break-through pain, but with only 33% bio-availability (how much of the medication reaches your bloodstream). Read warnings on that if you ever use the patch, I got very sick when a hot shower caused the patch to release too much medication. Ultimately, I stopped Fentanyl because it was causing too much central sleep apnea (as any narcotic in high enough dosage can do). If my pain becomes too much to manage through exercise, physical therapy, and OxyContin ER (20mg) then I will ask my Dr. to put me back on it. Having several days of continuous pain relief is such a foreign feeling, it's wonderful.

It's important to research as much as you feel comfortable doing, so you know what's going in to your body and understand your doctor and what he is saying. Misunderstandings can lead to mistrust and unnecessary anxiety (thinking your effective medication is going off the market, for example ;). I have found wikipedia to be an excellent source of information, but it's very dry reading sometimes. You can follow links around all day to figure out what each medical term is, but in the end, you need to visit a site like spine-health to learn from everyone's experiences. Yours will, as mentioned, differ but this is a great place to start! Good luck to you! It can get better, you can obtain and sustain a managed pain level that gives you a reasonable quality of life!
  • I hope this doesn't come to late. I have had two major spinal surgeries and well overdue for another. I started with the hydrocodone and it was wonderful at first but after about six months my tolerance to the drug was so high that I could take five at a time and feel nothing. So then I was put on morphine which was aweful. It made mE irritable and angry. So then I relunctantly started taking oxycodone and OxyContin. One was for extended relief and the other for breakthrough pain. This was good and I continually increased the dosing over about five year period. I was then on a ridiculously high dose and it wasn't working anymore. So I begged the doctor to change it to something else. He put me on exalgo. I've been on it for three months and it's aweful. Not to mention that when the doctor takes you off of oxy and changes it to anything else you will go into major withdrawals for about two weeks. My doc didn't tell me this was going to happen and when I called him after the first week his response was oh yeah you should probably go to a treatment facility and I don't handle that? Thanks for the heads up doc. Now I go next week to my pain doc and I'm asking him to switch me again and I'm goin to ask to be put on fentynal patches. These are also a pain in the butt but it's my last resort. I will then be asking to be slowly weaned off all narcotics because they change us and make us truly miserable in the end. If I knew eight years ago what I know now I would have never started taking any narcotics. So if I were you I would stay on the oxy but don't ever take more than directed because it becomes a big hopeless mess. Trust me
  • Thank you for the advice. Pain does suck..lol...I think I'm going to stay on the oxy for now as I have a very low tolerance for pain killers. I tired taking 3 of them and felt like I was going to die. My blood pressure sky rocketed and I started to sweat out of control it was a horrible experience. Im on 10 mg of oxy which is a very low doe as it is . I experienced a new pain and It happen about 3 am last night. I dont know what it was but i was wearing a sweater and found myself too hot so I woke and changed into a pajama shirt. after putting it over me. I started having a very strange pain ( which I cant explain) but it hit in my shoulder blades both right and left side and running its course through out my back and what felt like maybe even the front of my chest. Now this is the first time I felt this and my arms became so weak and not numb but painful in both arms. Im still in disbelief and in fear of it happening again. Right when you think it cant get any worse it goes right ahead and does. Im going to think of it has a maybe back spasm ( a really bad one) but Im hoping thats all it was. If it happens again I will go to ER to have it checked out. I seem to be ok right now Im just overly anxious now. 3 of my drs have asked me toplease seek therapy(psychologist) they feel the Chronic Pain is causing me to get depressed. Though it is common to be depressed I just feel like I don't want to do this anymore. I have started to re develop all the fears I one had many years ago stirring up. Like feeling as if Im going to have a heart attack. constantly obsessing with my hear rate,etc. such a stupid and ugly feeling. I guess I am depressed. Anyways thank you, I ave decided to stick with the oxy -at least I know what I'm taking and my body is adjusted to it. Im being changed over to Valium in a week but the dr has upped my klonopin for 4 times a day along with the valium 4 times a day . One is to help with muscle relaxation and I have the option to which I prefer best. I just need to come back down to earth and calm down. Right now Id like to wallow in my own self pity...lol. Im tired of always having to play this role as if everything is ok all day and night around everyone. I have news for them all. I feel like POOP!

Hope everyone is having an A ok weekend

• One thing to remember about drugs is this,

they are a two edge sword,

they help alleviate pain but in the long run they destroy the body`s ablility to heal tissue effectively,

in turn leading to new and mysterious pain,

my suggestion is to supplement with magnesium citrate,

magnesium helps the body relax,

and in that way may help lower your pain med dose,

or help it do its work easier,

Live to Pray
  • Oh hey thanx!sounds good, will give it a go.

• BUT check with your Dr first before you take any supplements. Even ones like mag may interfere with your meds and/or your condition.

I am a BIG believer of herbs/supplements and have study them ongoing for aprox 30+ yrs. But I still always check with my Dr or my pharmacist.

My Dr usually says something like "you do know that herb/vit thing is all garbage, right?" :laugh:

I say "OK but all I need to know is it safe for ME to take"? :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.