Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve pain. Help! Immediate response please!!!!

hammons1998hhammons1998 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Pain Medications
I had a cage revision in 2/11 and extended a fusion from L4-L5 to L4-S1. Woke up from surgery and couldn't feel my foot. Gradually got feeling back but was at a standstill since 5/11. Went in for 6 mo. post-op visit and they did a CT mylogram. I have bone fragments hitting the nerve root. Was told surgery to remove fragments would only give me a 50% chance to get rid of pain. I don't know what to do! I have a spinal cord Stimulator for my back but it doesn't help my leg and toes that are in so much pain. I was told I need to think about my quality of life and how much pain I can bear. If surgery doesn't work then I will be shipped back to pain mgt. I've already seen 3 pain docs and had 2 different types of pain injections. So what is left? I've heard Cymbalta has helped some and also Tramadol. I'm allergic to Lyrica and neurontin.
advertisement

Comments

• Stacey,

I am so sorry for your pain..... My first C1/C2 fusion failed to fuse and my wires were rubbing on my C2 nerve root. There is nothing worse than nerve pain, and from my experience I don't think I would ever be happy if I hadn't tried everything to try and to resolve as much as I could.

I tend to be an optimist, but a 50% chance seems like a bet I would be willing to take. When I had my revision surgery, the surgeon told me she wasn't sure if it would make my headaches go away or not, but I knew that I had to try. If you had a 50% chance of winning a million dollars, would you take it? :)

Monica
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • i too can't take the gaba type drugs .so my consultant put me on a heavy amount of oxycontin and oxynorm for BT pain ..i also use a TENS ..your SCS should help with leg pain ..is there anything wrong with it ? from what i know SCS don't do much for mechanical back pain {words from my consultant }but work very well on the nerves for the legs /foot ..maybe your SCS NEEDS attention??
    tony[UK]
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014