Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Xena at 3 weeks Post-op

XenaPortlandXXenaPortland Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone :)

Well, I've taken my pain meds and I'm getting ready for bed so I thought I would post about my progress after 3 weeks from addressing a grade 3 spondy with PLIF from L4-S1, decompression, lami from L3-S2, plus some other stuff which overall gave me about a 10" scar on my back.

I want to say that this forum and all the posts I read before the surgery were REALLY helpful. Most especially, the "what you need to have at your house" was super useful, I wouldn't have made it nearly as well without my grabbers and toilet seat rails. I highly recommend to others that they read this info and prep for coming home before surgery, and I am deeply grateful to everyone who has contributed to making such a super list.

I think the thing most difficult to describe is the pain itself. It seems like everyone is different, and everyone experiences pain differently anyway. People seem to vary hugely in their pain and the amount they can do after surgery and the length of time it will take to heal. My advice to everyone is to not try to measure yourself at all by anyone else's experience with what they can or can't do after surgery ... you will have your own unique experience with what you can do, and you should above all else listen to your own body, give yourself tons of loving care, and get all the help you need from your doctors and PT's.

For me, walking the first two weeks was like running a marathon. God it was tiring. If I did too much, I would also get these awful stabbing pains in my back. If I did too little, I would get all knotted up. It seems like there is a constant balancing act between doing enough to keep your healing going, and doing too little so your muscles and bone don't heal like they should. It is somewhat maddening to figure out the right amount I must say.

These last couple days especially have been, well, better. I still breathe heavy when I walk, but I can walk easier than before. I'm also still in pain, but I'm taking about 1/2 the pain meds I was the week before and plan to slowly ramp that down over the next month. The best news I got yesterday was that the benefits from having the surgery are really showing up already this third week ... my foot drop is very noticeably better (my doctor was very impressed), my legs are stronger, and I can lie down and sleep for the first time in years! It is a miracle to be able to sleep again without waking in agony.

I'm really feeling very positive today about the surgery and my recovery path. I even was able to work for a couple hours today at home on the computer. The surgery has worked for me, just wonderfully so far, and I know the pain related to surgery will fade and get better and I will have a better life than I've had in many years.

I was SO SCARED to do this surgery. I was terrified about feeling like I had no options due to the nerve damage that was occurring. Plus my doctor, who is one of the top ones in my state, said "he only does two or three a year as complicated as mine", which sounds terrible although I think he meant it as a reassurance. I wish he did hundreds so he was super practiced at it (if you know what I mean).

Right now, at least, I feel like it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Thank you to everyone out there who gave me such great encouragement and comments, and I hope I can return the favor to those in need in the future.

- Xena

p.s. I also want to say to everyone who has not had as positive of a result that I am routing for you, and hoping that it will get better for you soon. The pain of spinal issues is a deeply difficult issue that is not always understood by those who haven't had it :)

• Glad it worked out so well for you. Keep being patient as it is a long haul.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • You go girl!
    Thanks for your informative and hopeful posts! Im impressed by your recovery and positive mind set, you were facing a BIG surgery.
    Your posts have helped me ease my mind for my upcoming ACDF, although a small one compared to what you have been through.

Hugs and wishes for great times ahead,

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • Thanks janiski & Ms Pixie. I really believe having a positive outlook on things helps, and I seem to be recovering right on track. This kind of surgery is super scary, but I'm glad I got over my fear with the help of you all :)

- Xena
  • Hi Xena! I am so glad you are recovering so well. I think you had a very severe case so I would expect things to take a little more time. I had my surgery last Friday, 4/6. I'm going to start a posting to go over my surgery experience. Please look for it and let me know what you think. I do have a couple of issues I'd like to get some feedback.