Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Silly/embarassing questions about fusion recovery

LA_runner_chickLLA_runner_chick Posts: 91
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know proper sleeping will go a long way toward making sure everything fuses, but is it ok to let pets sleep on the bed?
(I have two kittens, and they are like my children -- and I know I will need the comfort they bring me!)
What about sharing the bed with a significant other?
Lastly…um, so long before y'all were able to get back to "relations"?
I've seen a few previous posts about this, but I'd like to hear some current feedback.
(and the surgery I'm going to have is a 360-degree instrumented at L5/S1)

• My guess would be as long as you keep your cats from jumping on you or potentially clawing your incision, there wouldn't be a big issue with them sleeping in the same bed.

I had a 360 ALIF w/instrumentation and it was around three months before I felt "Ready" to spend some quality time with my wife. Even then, speaking very bluntly, it wasn't very comfortable. To make matters worse, my surgery caused me significant male issues which can only be corrected by a certain blue pill. Never had that problem before surgery! But, I posted about that a couple years ago and can be found in the archives.

I think bottom line - you have to listen to your body. You will know when the time is right. Just don't let your significant other try and convince you the time is right! Sounds weird I know, but after surgery, you will understand where I'm coming from.

Good luck!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • my kitties were what kept me sane as i was convelesing. they new something was wrong with me and stayed by my side the majority of the time all snuggled up in bed with me!
  • My cats are my family and they were fine on the bed. I had to be careful they did not get on my incision. It was very comforting to have them there and they seemed to understand they had to be careful.

As far as returning to relations that is a very individual thing. And on what your surgery is. At least a couple of months but you will know when you are ready.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Cats: I have a dog that never did me any harm. Its a small terrier.

Sex: I was at week 10 and it set my pain off for a few days after. Like others have said, listern to your body. I rushed it when I wasn't feeling great and paid the price.

Goodluck recovering.

• I have two cats that sleep with us. I never had a problem with us sleeping together but just watch and listen to your body. Incision protection with a pillow is your best bet.

On the other issue, same answer. You will likely find a different and single position works beteer than ever and then stick to it. I'm six months out; first time was 6 weeks and difficult. Second attempt yielded fine process and still very painful culmination, Third time was getting better and it was probably at 5 months that any position except vertical was comfortable.

You WILL grow into it again, honest :)