Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swiming and Spondylolisthesis

darwinddarwin Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I am diagnosed with spondylolisthesis grade II 36%. L5-S1. I do not suffer much pain, only stifness in calfs and feet that allow me to develope normal life. My surgeon said that I can practice any sports that do not give pain to me. I am swiming 6 days a week and abds exercises. My concern is that the stiffness didn t dissapear, after swiming I feel better for an hour, and after that the stiffness start againd. Should I stop swiming? I swing 1750 meters 68 turns in a 25 meteres pool. Does the swiming turns, bend knees and hips, and 180turn over the water, hurt my back?

• i have always been a keen swimmer too .but since my ALIF 4 months ago every time i swim it aggravates my back .if i were you i would ease up a bit !
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Swimming seems to help my back but if I swim for too long and do too many flip turns I begin to feel it. Open turns may be easier but I think you are doing them (??). Do you swim a variety of strokes?? That could help. We are all different tho and if something hurts when you do it it can't be that good for you.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.