Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Probable cervical facet syndrome -- what to do?

Frank321FFrank321 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I developed a "stiff neck" three days ago. I don’t think this is as serious as some of the very serious neck problems in this forum, but nevertheless perhaps someone has advice for me. This is my first ever post in the neck pain message board.

It is painful to turn my head to the sides. Even the acceleration of a car, from starting to getting moving, the momentum forces cause a bit of pain. Getting into bed is painful, as that involves twisting my head, though once my head is resting on the pillow while I'm laying on my back, the neck feels okay. Turning onto my side in bed is quite painful, so I sleep only on my back.

When I swallow in normal head position I get a pain in the upper right neck. When I elongate my head up and back and swallow, I don't get a pain or spasm in the upper right neck. Thus I have to carefully elongate my head when swallowing after chewing or drinking.

I saw my local physiotherapist yesterday. She says “stiff neck” is too broad a term to use. She thought my probelm was not muscle tension, but the C1/C2 (could be C0/C1) facet joint (“zed” joint she called it) was not gliding, and this was causing the muscles around it to tense and spasm to protect it when it was aggravated. I am guessing she was referring to "cervical facet syndrome". As in link removed
I can definitely feel the pain and soreness centers on the upper right inside neck, though the whole neck reacts with pain if I move it sideways. I can move my head forward and down with no problem.

While I first noticed tension in my neck muscles it was after laying on my stomach on the floor mat with my head twisted to the side in a Pilates exercise class. (Similar to sleeping laying on your stomach.) It wasn’t an immediately acutely painful injury where you know immediately that something bad has happened. Rather, the neck become more painful hours later.

Anyone have anything similar or know of someone with something similar? What was your experience? How long did it take to recover? One bit of advice I’ve seen is: “Perform slow range-of-motion exercises -- up and down, side to side, and from ear to ear -- to gently stretch the neck muscles.” Did you do those exercises? Did you let your physiotherapist manipulate your facet joint to try to mobilise it? Any good webpage or forum post on this type of problem that I should look at?

Any comments welcomed. I will answer any follow up questions to me.

Standards agreement and posting rules
Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, health care facilities, web sites, or naming of health care professionals is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

• I'm a lucky man, and symptoms have eased the following day to where I can more or less resume my normal activities.

Sometimes luck is good luck!

Next step is figuring out neck care (exercises, stretching) to prevent similar in the future.
  • Frank,

I'm glad your symptoms are resolving on their own.

I've had a fusion at C4-5 with grafts, plates and screws. Lots more obviosly, but I take a yoga class and it helps immensley with streching, gently, and not just the neck.

I used to be a runner in college, and the coaches really stressed, stretching and warming up. Helps to prevent a lot of sports injuries.

So maybe mix it up a little with the Pilates, and keep that neck in shape.

• Hi Frank,

I have been diagnosed with Cervical Facet Syndrome just very recently. It is a very painful condition, however with the proper medication it can be controlled. Glad you are feeling Better!
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Sometimes when I get up from the bed early in the morning feel neck not severe, mild. This can be cleared just by applying a pain balm and massaging.