Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatic pain led to LOSS of calf function?!

back1221bback1221 Posts: 4
Hi, i have degeneration of the L5 and herniated S4. I had 3 sets (6 shots total)of cortisone shots but they did minimal help. The back pain was still there. I'm 32 and was setting up for a spinal fusion but before i started talking to surgeons about the procedure i decide to go on a mini vacation. Im from NY and flew to Florida, after my 2nd day in Florida my leg started bothering me. When i flew back to NY and landed i was in pain but severe pain..The next day when i went back to work i had full blown sciatic pain..I couldn't straighten my leg, i left work and went straight to my orthopedic but of course with my luck he was on vacation and a different Doc. gave me flaxeral and percosets for the spasms and pain along with 2 days of bed rest. I did all that and now i have no function of my calf muscle. The back of my thigh is numb and when i touch my foot,it feels like there's pins and needles in there..Can someone please let me know whats going on. Im stressing that this might be permanent. Im walking around with a limp cause i cant push of with my left foot.
Any help will greatly be appreciated..

• I believe they call that foot drop and that you need to let the doctor know that the bed rest did not improve the symptoms. It may require immediate attention or can become permanent nerve damage. Please call your OS As soon as you can. I'm no doctor I just think this is pretty serious and you don't want to wait on this.

• Thanks julieA, I went to my orthopedic Yesterday. I have a degenerated L5 and he said that a piece of the disc or bone might of broken off and is pinching my S1 nerve. Ive regained some function of my calf muscle but still cannot push off while im walking so i have a limp.I also cant do toe raises with my left leg. I'm not very surprised cause Im a very athletic guy and now i cant even run or walk. I have an MRI scheduled tomm. so ill find out what the cause really is.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I know the waiting can seem like an eternity, but I hope doc is able to find info from your MRI and doc comes up with an effective plan of treatment. For me it was and is trying something... and something else until it works. But just hang in there and try and try again.

For me the most revealing test was the EMG. Esp. when pain out of control and I could barely explain it. So the doc with the EMG was able to read the nerve response and to see things wrong to verify what I said and also stuff that didn't even hurt that he saw as an issue.

Keep up the good communication with doc..what works.. not working now..and hang in there.

Wish you the best of luck!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History