Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

newbe here

wayneawwaynea Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi. New here with some questions. my story...no accident, nor injury that I am aware of. About a year ago started getting a burning, piching sensation in my upper arms. Then neck pain which now goes from the base of the skull down between my shoulder blades. the last week, I've been getting numbness in the bottom of my right hand and little finger. I've had MRI (bone spurs and other age related deterioration). Nerve conduction test. bone scan. I've done PT, tried neurontin...didn't work. I've had one epidural nerve block and a total of ten facet injections....none of which have helped. Currently on robaxin and norco...which is becoming less efective. Don't have enough sick leave vacation to be able to even try surgery. It's becoming unbearable. Everyday is a struggle to just get through.
Anyway, I see references to "nerve" pain. Isn't all pain, nerve pain? How do you tell the difference? I assume cymbalta and lyrica are the same as neurontin? I also wonder about trigger point injections. Are there predefined trigger points? or, are these something a doctor finds by feeling around? Thanks

• Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two types of pain. Nerve pain seems to be what you are describing from you post. Nerve impingement can cause muscle spasms and that pain can sometimes mimic nerve pain. When I have muscle spasms, they usually feel like deep dull pain vs. nerve pain which feels like my muscles are burning. The relationship between nerves and muscles is very complex and the medical world is still trying to understand it.

In regards to trigger point injections, there are predefined points, but I was told that even if you miss a spot, the medication should travel to other spots. I would give it a try if you have a lot of muscle spasms. They do help!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Cymbalta is totaly diferent from lyrica and neurontin, Both lyrica and neuronting is along the gaba medication i believe which is for nerve pain,

Cymbalta is antideression medication but many of these medications are prescribed for pain also among many other antidepression medications,

I had a bad reaction while i was put on cymbalta so i wont touch it at all,

Some do ok with these meds but you always have to be aware of there side affects,
    Lyrica helped me at 1 st with nerve pain but after having to increase it in time was making me too sleepy and feeling stupid, Same with neurontin,

I was not willing to give up driving and some of these meds realy made me feel not very alert behind the wheel,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,