Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

VinGVVinG Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
After a weekend of pain, I called the Dr's office today and put a flare under the scheduler. I'm in for May 15th for my 3 level ACDF. Everyone is telling me that I can't worry about it for a whole month. It's hard to keep it out of my mind when I am in constant pain.
- Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012

• I know how you feel! I tried to schedule mine as soon as I could because I knew that the sooner the better! Try to keep yourself occupied so that the time goes by faster.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Good for you!

By putting a flare under the scheduler do you mean you called their office to try and get them to schedule your surgery sooner?

I ask because I am in terrible pain too, have been for almost 4 mos now and my new ns still is yet to even schedule an appt with me. Not really sure what to do. Have any advice for me to get his ass in gear?

Anyway, I am happy that your surgery will be coming up soon, you will do great, it's a successful surgery. Try not to worry, just trust your surgeon, easier said than done, but we are all here for you.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I guess you are more patient than I am. I had talked to my surgeon last Tuesday to go over MRI/surgery, and he said his scheduler would call me that day...no call. I called her Wednesday...no response. I emailed Thursday...no response. After a weekend that made me feel like I was being drawn-and-quartered, I called today and asked for someone else. She put the original woman on who said it had been scheduled. May 15th was the first opening that my surgeon and an ENT surgeon had in common. I know these folks are busy, but sometimes a litle communication would go a long way. My wife sometimes calls me a bully, but I'm the one whom she turns to to get results. Missy, you need to call everyday until they are sick of you.
    - Vin

3 level ACDF, c3/4, c5/6/7 in May 2012
  • Missy, you need to call everyday until they are sick of you.

I am literally in tears after reading that. That is exactly what I needed to hear Vin. I have been in constant pain since Jan 4th. After 2 months of dr's treating me like a drug seeker and telling me nothing was wrong with me ,my mom and I finally convinced an ER dr to do a cat scan on me and see that I had a very large extruded c6,c7 markedly impinging my spinal cord.

The first ns I was sent to just a mos ago had NEVER performed this surgery out of residency. So I asked for another opionion. The 2nd ns called last week and said I couldnt even see him for an appt until Oct! So,here I am 4 mos later still waiting for an appt with a ns.

And no, I am not patient at all unfortunately, but I know I am also not being unreasonable with my expectations of seeing a neurosurgeon as soon as possible, yet I am being put off all the time.

I live in Canada by the way and it's a shi#show of a healthcare system right now and a very long wait for care.

Anyway,I have been told to be very careful until surgery for risk of paralysis so I am very eager to have this surgery.

I thank you for telling me to be my own advocate. I have a 6 mos old baby that I can no longer lift or care for so I am eager to have this surgery to get my life back at some point.

You are just the kick in the ass I needed. Thanks so much, your wife is lucky to have a bully like you for a husband. Lol! I will call the new 3rd ns office tomorrow and be a thorn in their side until I am seen.

Thank you and I wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery. You'll do just great. Keep me posted after your surgery.

• Sorry that the Canadian system really slows down the whole process! Sometimes I take it for granted that the US health system allows for a faster response. Nevertheless, both systems have their flaws. My health insurance is very expensive and they are charging more and more for ever procedure I have done. Last year, I never paid a cent for my MRIs. Now I'm paying a portion AND we have to pay the monthly premiums! We had to dish out close to $1000 this month on medical bills. Wishing you a day of reduced pain! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hmmm..

It is sad...you guys have to pay so bloody much and we have the long wait times. Maybe someday they will get it straight. Lol!

Thanks for your well wishes Lili, I always love hearing from you and I hope you're having a great day!

• IslandStylist,
    PEI? I'm getting single level ACDF this coming monday. I called last week to find out if they has decided on a day yet and they gave me the 23rd. Pretty lucky. Just keep calling them. I'm just lucky to get in before all the healthcare system here in Halifax goes on strike a week from today.
  • Hi,

I'm so glad that you're getting in so soon. You'll be recovering in no time.

And try not to worry, it's a reliable surgery with an excellent success rate, have faith in your surgeon.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Missy, Vin and all,

It doesn't seem right to have to play the game that way, yet in my own experience, it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. lol

Know that there are lots of us here still "squeaking"to get things done. :W

The results will be worth the hoops we all go through just to get to have surgery. My pet peeve
    is the drug seeking label people get from uninformed care givers who have never obviously ever had a nerve or spinal cord compressed.lol :?

Anyway no more preaching to the choir, I am thinking of you all, and praying for many speedy recoveries.

• It's funny how in the beginning of all this I was TERRIFIED to get surgery. Now, four months later, after all the fighting to even get a diagnosis and some decent pain medication, I am actually looking forward to surgery.

God, if I don't laugh I'll cry I am getting so frustrated. But you are right, I will just keep on making my voice heard.

I am thinking of you too, you are very sweet and kind and that in itself makes my waiting more bearable.

Hugs Dee. Hope you're having a great day!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    May 15 will be here before you know it! Yes, you will worry about it until then...that's normal. After it's over, you'll wonder why you were so worried though. I only had a one level but wish I'd had it done ten years ago..so much improvement!

I hope you can get some relief from your pain until surgery. I know, if you're like me, you'll work yourself to death getting everything done prior to surgery. I've always tried to plan and have surgery in the fall so that I don't have so much "outside" work worrying me. lol. Don't overdo it after surgery...my recommendation is walk, walk, walk. Worked for me anyway.

Best of luck.