Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I am new here and have some questions.

Almost 4 weeks ago, I experienced some soreness after working out at the gym in the lower back/buttocks region. I did some stretches given to me by a PT, and took the next day off from working out. The following day, I ran a 10k race. Back up, a little history, I was/am training for a half marathon and have been since the first of the year. At the point of injury I was running about 20 miles a week, with a day or two of cross training and was just adding in the second day of strength training. Anway, ran a 10k and felt a little soreness in the buttock but not enough to stop. I had a great run. Immediately after I started getting more and more sore. I contemplated working out the next day and opted not to. Still was getting worse. The third day was worse yet and the 4th was dibilitating sciatic pain. The pain was/is on the left side all the way down to my toes. The 5th day, I went to my general dr who diagnosed me with sciatica and gave me PT and flexeril. Two days later, I had to ask her for vicodin for pain. I would rate it right up there with child birth! I, obviously, laid off of the working out since I couldn't even function without pain. Over time, it improved some to managable. I've also started seeing a chiropractor and that doesn't seem to help much. PT referred me back to my general doctor suggesting doing an MRI. He and my primary care dr both think that it is a bulging disk. I wonder if it is that or piriformis syndrome.

So this is where I am at and hoping someone can help guide me. I am stuck at whether I should go for the MRI. I have high deductible insurance and this has been quoted to me to cost $2300. I guess my question is what options are there at this point? Is there the chance this would heal itself? As of today, I would rate my pain in the morning when I first wake up about a 6. I've been getting shooting pains in my calfs that I would rate an 8. Otherwise, I get pain about a 4 when I sit (I have a desk job) or drive. Walking doesn't bother me. Laying down does, I have to sleep on my stomach (which is undesirable to my chiro). Working out doesn't change how I feel one way or the other. I have been cautiously doing some exercise (no where near where I was). So I go for the MRI, does that put anything more than a cause to the sciatica?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

• I would lay off the exercise for a while to give it time to heal, Could even take a long while for bulging disc to heal and move off the nerve if thats what it is,

No mater what the cause is even if mri confirms something sometimes giving the body time to heal is the best option,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,