Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI translation ???

edensvisioneedensvision Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I understand I have to get a Doctor's diagnosis, as I have been waiting about a week to hear from them but hadn't yet....Can anyone help translate my MRI. I am in need for understanding in specific's & a picture as a whole. I am post opt c5-c6 (nov 2005), c6-c7 (April 2007). It's been 5 years since my last surgery. Any help is certainly appreciated.

MRI cervical spine without & with contrast 4/11/12
History: The patient complains of neck pain & bilateral shoulder pain extending into the upper extremity bilaterally with weakness. She also complains of paresthesis of the right upper extremity.

Procedure: MR imaging of the cervical spine is performed before & after intravenous contrast enhancement. Comparison is made with the previous study dated 1/27/2011.

There is evidence of fusion c5 through c6. There is good alignment of the vertebral bodies. The hardware and vertebral bodies could not be optimally evaluated due to the magnetic susceptibility artifacts.

There is loss of disc height & signal at level c3-c4, c4-c5, & c7-t1 representing degeneration/desiccation of the discs.

The bone marrow signal of the vertebral bodies & posterior elements appear normal with no evidence of focal enhancement.

c2, C2-3 unremarkable

c3, C3-4 Moderate sized disc osteophyte complexes seen without a significant compression on the thecal sac or the nerve roots. The facet joints appear normal. No evidence of spinal stenosis.

c4, C4-5 There is prominent uncinate spur asymmetrically more towards the right & moderate facetal arthropathy. There is narrowing of the right neural foramen c4-5 which was also noted in the previous study. The left neural foramen appear normal, no evidence of spinal stenosis.

c5, C5-6 There is diffuse enlargement of the right nerve root c6 which shows contrast enhancement & a small surrounding fluid in the right neural foramen. This may represent neuropathy /neuritis. This was not noted in the previous study. There is a 5.5 x3.7 MM extradural meningeal cyst in the latter part of the left neural foramen c5-c6 displacing the left nerve root c6 anteriorly. This is unchanged since the previous study. No evidence of spinal stenosis at this level.

c6-7 No evidence of neural foraminal or spinal canal stenosis. The facet joints appear unremarkable.

c7-t1 Unremarkable

The size & signal of the cervical spinal cord appear normal. There are some serpiginous areas of signal void seen in the cervical spinal cord which I believe represent imaging artifacts. Remote possibility of these representing tortuous spinal dural veins? may not be excluded.

Images obtained after contrast enhancement do not show any areas of focal abnormal enhancement in the cervical spinal cord, vertebral bodies or the posterior elements.

1) Moderate severe right neural foraminal stenosis c4-5 which was also noted in the previous study 1/27/2011 & is unchanged in the interval
2) Moderate thickening of the right nerve root c6 with a surrounding fluid may represent neuropathy/neuritis. This was not visualized in the previous study.
3) A small extradural meningeal cyst posterior to the left nerve root c6 with displacing the nerve root anteriorly.
4) Anterior spinal fusion c5-c7. Good alignment of the vertebral bodies.
5) Degeneration/desiccation of the intervertebral discs level c3-4, c4-5,c7-t1
6) other findings as above.

• I know it's hard to wait, and you obviously have abnormal findings on your MRI, but your doc is the one who really needs to do your explanation.

There are so many factors to take into consideration when trying ti interpret findings like this. We don't try to offer medical advice, but support you in your quest for answers, and understand the difficulty of waiting for responses.

Keep calling your doc's office to get answers, sometimes you have to strongly advocate for yourself.(be a pain in the behind) to get the responses you need. Don't settle for the run around. These things are all on computer nowdays, and the office gets the results a lot faster than in the old days.

I hope you are not in too much pain and that your answers will come quickly.

PS if there are terms in the report u don't understand, Google them, bearing in mind what I said above.
  • I thank you. I was hoping maybe someone had some similiar experiences and maybe i could find out what to expect. I sincerly thank you.

P.s....called Doctor monday, left a message. Hope to hear from them sometime this week to find out something
  • I have been to the Dr. Was confusing but told I have neuritis c5c6. Don't know why, and told if conservative measures didn't work i was a candidate for a Frominotomy.

I have grave concerns about the cyst and opening me up at all due to already having two cervical fusions at two different times in 7 years.

I am concerned they don;t know why I have nueritis, and when offered a forminotomy verbally, it was said...."we can give you a forminotmy and get in there and see what's going on"....I said "I'd prefer more testing to know why wouldn't you?" He didn;t feel it was neccesary at this time.

I have done a 6 weeks conservative measure of a weeks worth of a streoid pack and increased my bacolfin, nuerotin. Had one trigger pint injection
    On the second round of 6 weeks conservative measure with the same, and fixing to go for my seconf trigger pint injection. I am three weeks through this.

My forarms are really bad and it hurts to outstretch my arms due to extreme elbow pain and the nerve that runs into my forarms. Still have arm weakness and sharp pains in my shoulders.

I am unsure as the Dr said he believed the neuritis could be from everything i have had done in 7years, two surgeries, several trigger pint injections epidural injections. I'm just not getting better but worse now. But believe I have tried all that I can.

Was told in December based on 2011 old MRI nothing could be done for me. Now in May told I might be a candidate for a forminotomy with the updated MRI and EMG results. I am conflcited. I'm relieved i might be able to get some relief, but scared to have another surgery. I desperatly need the relief but not so sure I won;t need another fusion later in life and don;t want to be opened up a third time let alone a fourth. So I'm conflicted as you can tell. I want relief and hope no further permament damge is being done, but not sure it isn;t and not sure how long a forminotomy lasts and does it resolve the issues once and for all....ugh

Any advice, translation defining understanding or future prognosis based on experience would be very helpful and is much needed from anyone on this board....