Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with MRI

OH-JamesOOH-James Posts: 1
Hello folks,

My name is James and I am in one of those rare "feeling half normal" moments in time. Feeling almost giddy, all thing considered.

I really first must express my full admiration for what all of you folks are going through on this site. Reading your posts has put into prospective my own issues and I honestly don't know how some of you do it.

I tip my ice packs to you all.

My story:

Way back in 1981 I fell through a skylight, bounced about the steel frame work, fell 25 feet, landing on my back and hips on top of a 55 gal oil drum, and finishing off the swan dive by flipping off the drum with a perfect face plant on the concrete floor.

The next 3 week was spent in a neurological center in traction. The nerves in the lower back and the function of the nerves getting alone with the muscles in my legs took 3 months before life became do-able.

For the next 30 years it was a game of do's and don't, can't wear waste bands, special safety harness that avoided the bad pressure points, good chairs, no-no chairs or sitting, laying, standing wrong. I even had to resort to a wardrobe that sported of the ever so sexy, bib overalls. And No, I'm not a farmer.

But, 26 days ago. As Dr Phil would say, I had "A changing day in my life"

I was moving a simple piece of furniture, normal every day kind of thing. Turned my right hip as we slid the couch into the truck and OUCH, shape pain in the back and hips.

"No biggie", I thought. Ice it and it will be fine.

Oh how wrong I was.

At 51, I have spent my life doing the high and dangerous work. Bangs, boo boo and pain were just part of life. I was tough, I could deal with it and drive on.

Well my friends, and I call you friends because it is a small few that can understand what I'm about to say:

It all started with a stiff lower back and a deep sharp pain in my hip. The pain grew with the passing of every day. My whole leg had sharp, stabbing, slicing, shooting pain waves, as they let up, all of the muscles of the leg would turn into a tight knot of deep throbbing fun.

The center of my shine bone felt as though something was chewing into the bone and the feeling in the right foot was less every day as the numbness grew.

I add this because it has happened 3 times now ,but one evening strong line of thunder storms move through. I didn't know what was going on outside but my pain became a totally new experience to me.

My joints locked up, every nerve was all pizzed off and shot shock wave through my whole lower body. The muscles all contracted and my education as to what real pain truly had began.

I ended up in the ER, they hit me with one pain killer after another. shots and pills and a shot of some nasty tasting steroids. Xray, cortisone.... and it change NOTHING. The pain laughed at everything they tried, but, it was enough junk in my system to knock me out for a few hours.

I went back to my chiro's and he worked me over with the pop gun thing. That night, I got a bad cramp, rolled flat on my back to stretch it out and the right hip gave a loud "pop" ...The nerve endings liked the pop, the meat of my legs when nuts with a painful journey back to "the normal".

2 days of the legs cramping, but things seemed to be getting better.

Ohhh how wrong I was. That night, I thought I would crawl to the fridge for fresh ice packs. 5 feet from my bed, which is now in my living room, my Left hip totally locked up. I could not move it from the half bent position that in was in. The pain was beyond anything my mind could imagine. I lay humbled, un-able to even lift my leg with my hands, un-able to force myself to go beyond the pain. For 9 hour there I was, half clothed, middle of the floor, un able to reach anything. phone, blanket, pillow, and other items i really needed.

Thanks be to God, my son stopped by to check on me. We used ice packs on the spin and S1-S3. along with ice on the pinch point in the hip. As the ice brought the swelling down, I got that beast to go back to his cage with that lovely "pop".

It took 3 days of heating the leg meat with heating pads and endless rubbing and deep massage to get the legs to calm down.

So, this leads us to yesterday. Finial the day of the much needed MRI.

Yep, as most of you may have guessed, it didn't go so well. I tried everything I could think of to lay still, but within 3 minutes the nerve and meat of the right leg were in full " shock and awe attack mode.

(((Now, here is some information that some may find VERY useful. The Dr called in one 5 MG of Diazepan and I was to take two oxy's with them and try again with the MRI today.

But, the Oxy does Nooootthhiing for nerve pain, so we asked if we could use two of 100MG neurontin with the Diazepan.

Folk, friends, ladies and gentlemen, what a wonderful combination. For the first time in almost a month, my brain can think of something other than controlling the next wave of pain.

Let me add this too. For the MRI at 6:00am, I stayed up all night, icing the L's and S's, heating the legs and rubbing the Mc Outches out and slow light stretching.

In the MRI I took a very soft pillow, placing

But, I hope to get a few more of the Diazepan and try them with the Neurontin again. I'll let you all know if it is as wonderful combo as I feel it is. that it under the small of my back and placing another under the hips, both taking pressure off the L's. I raised my knees held up by my feet under them. Once I got the balance right, all was good and I made it though almost in comfort. :)

So now we play everyone's favorite, "waiting for the Dr. to call with the results.

My apologies for babbling and rampant ramblings with this post, but after just being able to read them for so long while get coping , I hope that I can add something, anything to this board that can give others a break from this new found Beast. Real Pain.

Take care all and I wish you all the best of luck

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry for the reason you're here but glad to have you.

I'm glad you found something to get you through the mri somewhat comfortably. I hope you get the results soon so something can (hopefully) be done.

I know your pain, or at least a small portion of it. I had something similar happen to me just recently--well two separate episodes(I think, but maybe it's all one and the same). I've had chronic back pain for three years but this has brought me to my knees..seriously. Hopefully mine is on the mend now though (fingers crossed) since I did get out of bed on my own today. For the past week I've been a 45 yr old in a 100 yr old body I think. I do feel like I've discovered "real pain" too. Or is it just acute vs. chronic? Who knows? Who cares? It just hurts doesn't it? lol Laugh or cry--depends on the time of day.

Sorry to ramble. I just wanted you to know that I can relate. Please share your mri results with us. I'll be looking for your updates.
    Hope you feel better today.
  • Welcome to spine health James. I am so sorry. I have been in your shoes before. It has been a long time but reading your sad yet humorous story brought me back to a time long ago.

I am so glad your doctor came up with a medication cocktail for your MRI. I can relate to not being able to lay flat on my back and having a lot of anxiety about my last couple of MRI to the extend that I didn't think I could go through with them.

I'm sure you will be hearing from the doctor sooner rather than later.

Try to feel better,