Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain pumps-docs won't implant them in Georgia

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Management
I am getting my psych eval next week to go forward with a spinal cord stimulator. I asked my pain doc if the spinal cord stimulator didn't work, would the next step be a pain pump. He said, and I quote, "you might be able to get a doctor to implant it here in Georgia, but you won't get any doctor to manage it, including me." Wow, that makes me really determined to give the spinal cord stimulator as much of a chance as possible.

I wonder, is this attitude toward pain pumps unique to Georgia? I know there are several "spiney" members who use them. Anyway, I'll go for the scs test and see what happens!

• Wow! I know my doctors office does pain pumps. I hope the stimulator works for you.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • It sounds to me like your Doctor does not do pain pump implants and in order to keep you as his patient he bashes pain pumps!! That is the very reason the PM I had bashed pain pumps when I ask hem about them!!He wanted me to try the stimulator. I had heard of pain pumps but knew nothing about them but when I ask hem about them he really bashed them. He had me scared to death of pain pumps! Then later he did a complete turn around and told me what I needed was a pain pump!! I was shocked but when I reminded hem of what he said about them he kind of laughed and said,"I just said that because I do not do pain pump implants!! Doctors like that only care about the money they can make, not you as a patient.They are looking out for their interest not yours. But he did refer me to the Neurosurgeon who implanted my pain pump for me. This Neurosurgeon manages my pump for me.

I had decided that no Doctor would be implanting a device that was dangerous yet thousands of Doctors do implant them. They would be inviting lawsuits if this was true. No Doctor wants that now do they??

Actually, I now feel very fortunate that the SCS did not work for me but that was not how I felt at that time. If the The SCS had worked I would now have the SCS instead of my pain pump!!!

The SCS is helping thousands but for me the pain pump was the right choice. Actually I did not have to make a choice. It was made for me. And I am now so happy it was.
    I know that I will never trust a PM Doctor again.

Best of luck Kathy. I do hope this works out for you but as you know, the SCS does not work out for everyone. It just does not make sence that one whole state would ban pain pumps does it? Cheers :H

• Kathy.....
    I just found Doctors in Atlanta Ga. who do pain pump implants.
    The Doctor who does your pump implant is also the one who manages it for you. No Doctor will take over the care of a pain pump that someone else implanted, that much is true. It's best you like and trust the Doctor who implanted your pump because you will be with them the rest of your life!!

Hope this helps.
    Patsy W
  • My pain doc never recommended the SCS. It was the neurosurgeon who did. I asked my pain doc about pumps after reading several good posts about them, including yours.

The pain doc seemed to be most concerned with all the "managing" aspect of the narcotic. Don't know if it's because this area of the state (Atlanta and north along I75) has had drug bust after bust of those pain docs that put signs on the side of the road and he doesn't want to deal with the hassle of pain pump medication. Or it may be that he personally is opposed to them.....I was really surprised that he was so adamant!

Otherwise he has one of the best reputations around and is fellowship trained. He is a "teaching" doc and he is involved with various experimental trials. Or I wonder if he thought I was talking about something else. Anyway, I have talked to several people including a relative who have gone the SCS trial and I think I have as realistic of expectations as is possible. Of course I hope it works but I know that it may not. I figure that if it doesn't, I'm really no worse off.

I am going to ask my pain doc, out of curiousity, why he has such a negative impression of pumps.