Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Excruciating back pain for past five days

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted. I was doing so well...or I thought. I've been trying for months now to "fix" my mental health by not dwelling on pain constantly. I can't say it's worked 100% but it does help. Now THIS!

I brought it on myself (as usual) by doing to much hard/physical work. A lot of lifting, tugging, crawling...you name it. Add to that a false sense of wellbeing brought on by taking prednisone for pneumonia--boy did I have energy and could really work!! Yeah, see where that got me?

This came on in two stages so maybe you can help me figure it out? First, on Easter I developed terrible pain on left side of my back around under my ribs that had me writhing for a few days. That finally eased some so I went back to working on Friday and suddenly the pain hits in my lower left side of my back (like SI Joint area I think). Couldn't get out of a chair, had to pick my legs up to get in the truck to drive home then had a terrible time getting out! I can't lift my left foot very much for the pain. Can't bend, sit, or get out of bed without help. Forget tieing my shoes! I went to dr today and saw the nurse practitioner who didn't even touch the place that hurts and told me nothing really. They did give me three injections--Toradol, DepoMedrol, and Norflex. Plus a script for naproxen and Prednisone taper.

This is different from my "normal" back pain. Honestly is about the worst it's ever been. I have so much to do, that needs to be done, but right now I can't. I tried yesterday to work on the "job" I'm in the middle of but it didn't go well.

Any ideas? It hurts all the way around my waistline now and in my pelvic area too. I feel like I'm being sawed in half--well I imagine it would feel something like this--only worse. Enough already!!!!

• Debbie, the exact same thing happened to me and I understand your pain. I had an MRI done just to find out if I re injured my fusion and what I was told by two DR's was I had strained the muscles, caused inflamation which was pressing on the nerve's. It has eased up some but the pain has lasted for two weeks. Deep massages help a lot, ice packs and the anti inflamitory meds are the key. Severe muscle strains are very painful. Hang in there, it will get better with time.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad you didn't reinjure your fusion. If this had happened to me so near to surgery I'd be worried too! Two weeks and it's eased some? I know it feels like much longer.

It feels like my back locks up when I move a certain way and now my legs (especially the left) throb. It is better than it was at first though. I rolled out of bed easier this morning so maybe the injections are helping already.

Thanks again for your reply. I hope that both of us get over this soon. If you're like me it's just a matter of time until it happens again. Although after this, I think I'll be a little more careful what/how I do things...for a while anyway. ;) I think when my time comes, my death certificate will list "stubborn" as the cause. Or "stupidity"...hmmm.

Have a good day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    it when we have to pay the price for the things we do. But you and I both know that things still need to get done.

At first I was thinking of a bad muscle strain. They can cause so much acute pain, nothing is comfortable. But thats is only for a short time.

The Mid back and then more Lower back throws me a bit. Mid back, I always think Thoracic, Lower, lumbar. Could you have hurt both areas? I guess possible, but that would have really taken something.

Its good that they have you on things that should calm down a flare up. Now lets hope that this is all that it is, a flare up.

Rest (yeh, I know, nice word, but... especially this time of year)

Take care
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Good to see you. Hope all is well with you these days. Guess you can tell I'm "taking it easy" today. I've been catching up on the forums.

This has thrown me too Ron. The mid back and around under my ribs pain only lasted about four days (thank goodness). It was horrible. I honestly was beginning to wonder there for a while. I had just gotten over pneumonia and was afraid it was my lung but I kept thinking "surely a lung couldn't hurt like this!" As soon as that eased a little I went back to work (I know, but can't just quit in the middle of a job) and that very day, I lifted some pretty heavy stuff (countertops, etc.) then sat down and that was it. I couldn't get up on my own. The rest as they say is history.

It is feeling better today so far. I did get out of bed without help so that's an improvement. My pain has been even worse down my leg since the injections though. Does it usually hurt worse for a while after those? Maybe the inflammation is fighting with the steroids and one of them will win soon..lol.

Thanks for your support Ron. Sorry I haven't been around much lately. If I had been, maybe I wouldn't be in this mess right now? Yep, probably.

Hope you have a good day my friend.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    You're the most stubborn women I know! You're a problem waiting to happen. Ask someone for help on the heavy stuff. Yeah Like that's going to happen lol
    You scared me with the pain under the ribs. I was thinking pneumonia came back.
    sorry I haven't checked in with ya. You know how I hate to type. (peck)lol
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
    Have you been talking to my husband? He told me that yesterday (or the day before). Problem is I can't argue with you...I am stubborn.

I was afraid it was the pneumonia coming back too. I started to go to the doctor to be x-rayed again but by the time I put it off for a few days I figured if I'd lived that long....one of these days I'm going to put it off too long though I'm afraid. I just truly hate going to the doctor. It gets worse everytime I need to go too.

I think the injections are helping some now. Not great though like I thought they would. I know I've been doing to much today and the pain is worse again. My hubby and son know I can't tolerate a messy house but I'm not having any luck getting them to do anything. Then they say, "well if you'd sit down". HA!

Look over the mood. I think it's the steroids making me moody. They seem to affect me that way sometimes...so these two men here had better look out! hehehe.

Glad to hear from you Jim. Thanks for caring my friend.

• It sounds like we have the same stubborn problem as well. When I feel the least bit better, I over do it and yes I will be watching more closely how I treat my back in the future.

It has truly changed my life and I just pray and hope one day I get that life back. Take Care.
This discussion has been closed.