Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C6-C7 with Hardware

89ponyman889ponyman Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and just had some questions.

I'm two weeks post op after ACDF C6-C7 with Hardware surgery.

Severe right shoulder, arm and hand numbness, sharp shooting pains, burning feeling like fire from inside out etc for 6 straight weeks nonstop.

MRI Diagnosis: Herniated disc C6-C7 pushing on spinal cord.

Post-Op ACDF C6-C7 with Hardware 04/03/2012

Day 1-2: Still severe arm/shoulder pain
Hard to Swallow, Neck Pain

Week 2: Not constant arm pain but still presents itself at random movements of my body etc. Neck feels much better.

My question is all and all I am starting to feel pretty good but when I sneeze I have so much pain I almost pass out for a few minutes. I feels like my head and arm want to fall off. Is this pretty typical?

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi and welcome to SH.

It sounds like you're doing pretty normal for so early in your recovery. I remember those sneak up on you sneezes!! Yep, pretty typical.

You had major surgery and it takes time to recover--some more than others. I remember having arm pain return shortly after my surgery and thinking--well, that was all for nothing! It went away though and so far, hasn't returned thankfully.

Take care and don't overdo it to soon. Follow all orders/restrictions from your surgeon. Mine didn't give me any so I did pretty much my normal routine. I did do a lot of walking post op because it helped with the muscle spasms. I think walking is the best thing you can do to get your strength back faster.

Keep us posted on your progress.
  • Thank you for your thoughts. I do walk alot and do alot already. Probably more than I should but I am so f***ing bored. I thought it might be nice to have some time off at first but now I am dieing to go back to work after only 2 weeks. Well I will post the time frame my sneezes / big burps feel better and my arm pain stops altogether. Thanks everyone, I feel your pain.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Boredom! Prior to any/all surgeries I've had I'll think, I'm gonna sit back and do nothing for however long they tell me to. That usually works for 2-3 days then here I go. lol.

Wanted to tell you to watch out for those yawn/stretch moments that sneak up on you too. I remember my first big stretch (arms over head) after my acdf! I did it without thinking and got a huge pop and pain out of it. Thought I'd broke a screw or something but nope, all was well.

Take care,
  • Well new update.

First car ride yesterday - 1.5 hours long in total for follow-up appointment.

Collar now off. Woo-Hoo

Woke up today and now my shoulder is sore as hell. Feels like pre-surgery but without the added arm nerve pain.

Guessing this is normal and now I know what everyone meant about the "1st car ride". lol