Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 months post op pain

MurronMMurron Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am almost 2 months post op from my L5-S1 Tlif, I feel good most of the time, however I still feel exhausted after doing anything, even taking a shower. I have had 1 follow up and have my second in May where I will have x-rays done for the first time, I am nervous. I am no longer having leg pain, but I do have the feeling of pressure in my back around the incision which really hurts. Also, I have noticed the numbness I have has increased, but is in weird spots like the back of my left thigh, the right side of my chest. Has anyone else experienced pain from pressure around the incision or random numbness?
My surgeon didn't seem concerned about anything at my appointment other than my not being able to sleep (due to the pain from the pressure in my back).

• Hi there! I am 4 1/2 weeks out from 360 (anterior/posterior) fusion from L4-S1 with instrumentation, laminectomy, and decompression. I also have pressure around my incision in my back, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as yours. It just feels like someone punched me in the back. My physical therapist says it is normal due to the muscles and ligaments in the area being inflamed and it will die down as time passes. Do you wear a back brace? I wasn't wearing mine around the house, but this last week I went to wearing it all the time unless I was laying down and the pain in my back is now very minimal. Also, in physical therapy I am being trained to constantly engage my core muscles while I am walking and sitting so my lower back takes on less stress. I hope that helps.

As for the numbness. I have numbness on the outer part of my left calf and on the top of my foot. My surgeon said it can take months or even years to gain 100% sensation since the nerves were smashed and it takes a long time to regenerate. I think we just have to be patient. Good luck on your recovery :)