Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fentanyl 50MCG/ percocet

NCcrazysNNCcrazys Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Medications
I just started on these meds a few weeks ago, was changed from exalgo and dilaudid for break thru. The patches and 7.5/325 percocet have worked ALOT better than the exalgo !! The only problem that has come up is all the aspirin in the percocet. I was wondering if anyone knew of something that is compatible with the perocet without all the aspirin. I am some what allergic to the aspirin, Hives and BAD stomach problems, even with eating something before taking the percocets. Any help is greatly appricated.

• First if your allergic your doctor should never give this drug to you. He can give you the pure form of perc without the aspirin in it. If your allergic don't take it, as sometimes the reaction gets worse the more you take. You need to make sure your charts are noted as such and be sure your pharmacy as it noted, as well. But your doctor also can write other scripts with no aspirin in it. Is he aware you have a aspirin allergy? Perc doesn't have aspirin but rather tylenol. So maybe that is why they thought you would be fine taking them.
  • Percocet does not contain aspirin, it contains hydrocodone and paracetamol (acetaminophen or Tylenol it is also known as). Paracetamol is known to only rarely cause gastric irritation. Again, you state you're allergic to aspirin and this has nothing to do with aspirin. Is it likely the oxycodone is the problem? I've had issues with all other opiates except oxycodone, so it's possible you could just be the opposite :)

Also, please be careful with the Fentanyl. This is a very powerful medication. There are specific warnings about the patch you need to follow. I was on 50mcg/hr fentanyl patch and found it to be extremely effective for my pain, but had a bad experience when a too-hot shower caused the patch to release too much drug at once. I got very ill for a few hours until the levels dropped back to a normal level.

• Percocet does NOT contain hydrocodone. Hydrocodone based meds are vicoden, Norco, etc.....
    Percocet contains OXYcodone and acetominophen (Tylenol).
    The original poster can ask for just plain old oxycodone instead of the percocet if the tylenol is what is upsetting her/his stomach.
  • Thank you all for your comments, Yes my chart does say I am allergic to asprin,maybe that is why he gave me it since it doesnt contain asprin as some postings have stated. I will ask him for the percocet without the Tylenol. I am careful with the fentanyl since I change it every 2 days instead of the 3 days.
  • I had taken Percocet for years and then it started really tearing up my stomach...

We switched to OxyIR which is just straight Oxycodone (Immediate Release) so it's used as my breakthrough medication...

Literally within the first week I started noticing a difference and now barely have an issue unless I eat something that requires some Tums:)