Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Discectomy hip and leg weakness

JpriceJJprice Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 3 weeks & 5 days post L5 S1 discectomy and spinal rhizolysis. The surgeon advised I had a far larger herniated disc than expected from the the CT and it had spread right up my back, surgery took 3 hours. Thankfully my sciatica and pain was relieved immediately after surgery and my scar has healed well. I have been following all instructions with exercises, short walks and minimal sitting. I know it may be early days, however I have been having severe weakness and aching in my legs and hips when walking that does not seem to be improving. I did not have this previously. Has anyone else experienced this? Could this just be nerves healing?

I have also just started to have some niggling intermittent back pain in the same place of pain previous to surgery in the the last day or so. Could this be a sign of another prolapse or just part of the slow healing process. Although I was not provided a brace, I bought one today and I do feel more stable in the back wearing it when sittings standing.

Thanks to all who post on here, it certainly makes me able to better cope with this long recovery process. I still worry about going back to work in IT where I am sitting and carrying equipment alot, however I have learnt alot about being careful even lifting smaller things and taking breaks from sitting.

• Hi jprice ow are you? I just just read this for first time. I hope you are doing better. I am just over three weeks since a bilateral L4/L5 laminotomy/microdiscectomy. My surgeon at HSS in NYC said that he removed a disc fragment on right side that was crushing nerve so badly that it was dented. I am still having a lot of weakness and some leg and hip pain and I have trouble walking for mire than 10 minutes or standing for more than a few minutes.

It's funny, I heard so many stories of people who felt no sciatic pain after surgery and snapped back so fast, that I just thought I could do that too. I got up on day two after surgery and went downstairs to have breakfast with wife and kids. After walking forva few minutes I had the same pain and weakness radiate to my hips and legs. I tried to sit but it was worse. Had to go lie down for quite a while before my body would let me get up. This has pretty much been my existence for three weeks and I am very concerned, has anyone had a similar experience ? Jprice I certainly hope you are doing better. My surgeon actually had me go in Friday for new MRI to make sure no reherniation. I speak to him on Tuesday. He felt my symptoms severe enough that it made sense. I have heard people sat that it takes a long time to be able to sit, but I cannot sit without feeling pain build up almost immediately. And I have heard people say that nerves heal at 1mm per day but am not sure if there is any real basis in medical research or people just say that. It seems that when people talk about residual pain they mean a new pain that developed post-op, not the same old pre-op pains, which I seen to be stuck with. Best wishes to all for happier days.