Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacroiliac Joint Pain and Arthritis?

mm826mmm826 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hi, everyone.

I've had sacroiliac joint pain for a few months now, and I'm not sure what I should be doing in my situation.

I've had arthritis since my twenties (I'm in my forties now), and last summer I had to have surgery on my foot for it. Toward the very end of my recovery, in late autumn, I started having pain in my lower back. This was diagnosed as a sacroiliac joint problem, confirmed by MRI. I had to stay home from work for several months as a result, but I'm back at work, now. Since then, I've had two joint shots, and each one has left me feeling a little better, but the effects don't seem to last. I've talked to a surgeon, but he doesn't seem to think I should get surgery, and I'm worried about it myself, due to my arthritis and due to the fact that this problem started so soon after a different surgery.

Does anyone have any advice? My primary concern is whether or not I should be going to work, or walking at all. I feel like I can handle it for now, but some days are worse than others, and I'm worried about the long-term effects of continuing to be on my feet so much. What kind of results do you think I should expect from the shots in the future? Should I be seriously considering surgery, or does that not seem right for my situation?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, all!

• I have had SI joint issues for years, but it is nothing that can be corrected by surgery. Rheumatologists think I have some type of spondyloarthritis, but nobody can confirm WHICH type, so I have had various types of treatments, medications, etc. The one NSAID that seemed to give me really good relief with that particular pain was Vioxx, which was taken off the market several years ago. I am now on Humira, an injectable biologic drug, which seems to have relieved the SI pain (touch wood!); unfortunately the risks are many, but relief is #1 to me.

I have also had several rhizotomies done, where the nerves are 'stunned', along with cortisone shots. Those have given me very good relief in the past, though it is short-lived.

If you haven't tried physiotherapy, I would suggest that first to see if there are some stretches or manual treatments that will relieve that pain for you.

Good luck.