Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Final report.... no final answers

Rad1234RRad1234 Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey guys,
i just wanted to write to see if anyone had a similar condition to me, i know we are all different and pain differs from individual to individual my last MRI results are in...

c2/3 prominent right uncovertebral joint osteophyte results in mild narrowing of the right neural exit foramen

c3/4 mild right facet joint arthropathy resulting in moderate right foraminal stenosis

c6/7 marginal broad based annular bulge

c5/6 congential fusion, this is associated with straightening of the normal cervical lordosis. Facet joint ankylosis

Firstly following this i had 2 facet injections c2/3 & 3/4 i had about a days pain relief, which im told was from the local anesthetic... they also hit some parasympathetic nerves which caused eye swelling and redness, i also couldn't walk straight for hours (kept veering right). I suspect this was not so "normal" as the radiologist called me the next day to make sure i was ok.

my last appointment with my surgeon brought me to tears as he said i was a special case... i got the distinct impression he didn't deem me as important... after crying from sheer frustration he would no longer talk with me and had his consultant order more tests,... waiting times here in Melbourne public system are long, since the above MRI my symptoms have changed, since the injections the pain has increased.

I'm now waiting on appointments to have a different kind of MRI (don't know what that means!) and an xray when they get you to bend and flex.

I have been in ongoing pain a for 15 years. Im sure my patience is running out. I really need help.

Thank-you for reading, i feel i can only turn to you guys as you understand the pain, the frustration and my rant. any advice welcome :)

• It sounds like they are wanting a flexion/extension x-ray which gives the surgeon a idea if something is touching something when you move. The mri could be a Mri that he/she would like contrast added to it, which will give them a clearer picture of the cord. One thing that is so important is before doing any surgery they find the pain the generator. If they don't find what is causing the pain and the do surgery more than likely the surgery won't be successful, and you don't want that happen. Also depending on what type of injection they did some are made to be used as diagnostic and not to give you long term pain relief. So they have to take all of the information they have to make a accurate diagnoses and it sounds as though he/she is not comfortable yer. I would prepare for your next appointment by looking in the FAQ section and the list of 38 questions to ask a surgeon. Make a list if you were having surgery and one as if you were not. It is important that you maintain composure so you can get a accurate opinion as to what is going on and what he/she thinks. Sometimes the road to getting answers is long and you have to steady the course as you go. While I understand your upset you don't want to get tagged as a emotional female but want them to find the answers. So you need to pull it together and fight to find out what is wrong. I have had many appointment I wanted to cry from pain, but made it to my car to loose it there. But just keep the appointments they have decided for you, and be sure you are accurate in describing your pain. Don't like the pain of the day guide you in the pain your feeling and describe to the doctor. Be sure to keep a diary of how you feel and what makes it better and what makes it worse and what you were doing when it came on so strong. The point is you want to give them the most accurate information you can so they can make the best diagnoses for your condition. Good luck and keep us posted on the upcoming test.
  • There are several different tests as tamtam said, so don't consider the first MRI to be the defining test.

The best advice I can give is to keep a daily journal, detailing activites, or inabilty to do them, pain levels, meds with their relief (or not). This can be really important if your symptoms are changing or worsening.

Look at the FAQ's & make up your own list of questions. Write down the answers too, they can be just as hard to remember after you leave the office.

Take someone who will advocate for you if you can't. Sometimes I was in so much pain my answers were just yes or no, that was all I could manage. My DH could and did however, explain fully for me, and the journals were important tools. Use your spouse, significant other, sibling, parent, anyone who knows you and is willing to stand up for you.

Otherwise, be your own advocate! You can do this. We will all be here to support you through the process, wherever it may take you. Rant & cry here, make them take you seriously there. Like tamtam said, wait for the car. (and for the forum)

• Dee & tamtam

Thank you for your guidence, i have prepared a list of questions for when I meet with my neuro again. I've also been referred to a pain management person. My mother is my biggest advocate, I'm do thankful for her. New tests start 1st of June .... Here I go again ;)
    thank you both for responding, sometimes it's all I need to get positive again
    Rach xx