Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram on a 20 year old?

meg101mmeg101 Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Lower Back Pain
I found out today I need to have a Discogram too see if I need Surgery (I probably will have too) but I was wondering is that what is it used for? Too see if a person needs surgery? My orthopedic doctor called my pain doctor and my pain doctor will be doing the Discogram. I will be having the discogram on June 1st thats the only time the doctor can do it because he only does one 1 time a week but I am on the wating list too see if anyone before me cancels. Also, is the Discogram worth it? and my pain doctor will be putting me in a "Twilight" for the Disccogram. Is this just a test to see where my Orthopedic doctor needs to do the surgery and tells him where to go in my back for the surgery?

The Discogram is on my L4/5 area.

My EMG shows that the L4/5 is pressing on the nerves.
I'm 24 years old, I have had back problems since I was 17...

June 6th 2012 (I was 20 years old) On my L4/5 I got a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) with 4 pedicle screws, 2 rods, and 2 cages.

• The purpose of the test is to determine/confirm which level/levels need to be repaired. I am assuming the doctor will be using Versed as a mild anesthesia. It's uncomfortable but not the end of the world. Have someone drive you there and take you home as you won't be in any shape to drive safely due to the Versed. It takes a while to totally wear off. Take it easy for the rest of the day. Best wishes.
  • Hi there,from what I have heard discograms are very painful, I was suppose to have one coming up june 7th but am opting out on it because my surgeon said that it can cause damage to the good discs further down the road because they are inserting needles into the good discs and it causes them to disease,there has been studies to prove it. I was suppose to get it done before I have IDET surgery,but my surgeon said by the results of my MRI they know what discs are bad already, If the IDET does not work then I will end up having a fusion.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    If you don't have twilight or versed, or something. It is VERY painful!
    But if you can get out of it. do so!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.